Stale CDL... Myth, truth, somewhere in between?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by L.A.toTX, Oct 14, 2021.

1. L.A.toTX

L.A.toTX Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2021
    Alright, so I have been reading lots of posts in threads about people having a "stale" CDL. There seems to be a substantial number who believe that if a CDL school graduate doesn't have a job in a truck by a certain amount of time (that amount of time not yet clearly specified) that trucking companies look at said prospective driver as damaged goods. Yet, I read post after post of people getting a CDL and years later getting their first actual driving job. So, is there really something to this "stale" CDL business, or is it more of a myth that someone cooked up for whatever reason that may or may not make sense?
    I can see companies feeling like a person with an older CDL that hasn't been used needs a bit more training to get the muscle memory engaged again, but the idea of the CDL being old is the reason for not being hired just sounds dumb. Personally, I think this idea should stop being thrown around. Don't push people to desperation to just take any job for fear of a CDL becoming "stale." If a company finds a person to meet the criteria for which they are looking, that person will be hired no matter how long ago the person got his/her CDL. That's why companies have trainers. Anyway, please post your comments, even if you think I full of bull dookie and want to tell me as much. I look forward to reading any and all responses.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    I got my CDL-A in early May of 2017.

I started driving for Schneider in March of 2019.

Prior to this, I experienced some of the same apprehension that you are, now.

The bottom line---If they need you badly enough, they'll give you a chance.

NOTE: Regarding the above--I had a clean driving record (and still do), and no criminal history (and still don't).

I also went in the door my first day at Schneider with all the available endorsements....plus a TWIC card....plus a valid US passport.

Thus, you can "sweeten the deal" with potential employers if you go ahead and get a least some of the endorsements (start with HAZMAT).

The more endorsements you have--the more attractive you are.

--Lual

gentleroger and L.A.toTX Thank this.
  4. L.A.toTX

Oct 10, 2021
    So, the real issue is how hireable is a prospective driver. That goes back to one of my points that if a company has an interest in someone, they will be willing to hire that person no matter how old the CDL is without experience. The problem really arises when there are issues with job history, background, MVR, etc. But, those are issues even when a person is fresh out of CDL school.
    Anyway, thank you for your thoughts, Lual.

5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Don't forget the role the carrier's insurance companies play in dictating the qualifications of the individuals they WILL insure.

Most of the time it is 2 years experience, over 23 then it defines 'experience' as verifiable current history operating 'like' equipment.

They are stringent enough that 20 months current US experience and multiple years 'back home' with verification of several years experience was not good enough!

There are places that won't care; remember that a lot of MEGA carriers are self insured which allows them to run schools and set their own criteria.

Self insurance, usually, means the motor carrier covers the initial amount of every claim, out of pocket, until the cost get high enough that the insurance company covering the rest kicks in.

The one self insured carrier I worked for stood for the initial $250K before the insurance company kicked in; That's every incident below that amount.

Every little bump and fender bender and damaged dock door came out of the carrier's pocket until there is a large loss.

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  6. L.A.toTX

Oct 10, 2021
    I appreciate your response, but my post is referring to prospective drivers coming out CDL school with no experience. So, experience within a certain time period is irrelevant when discussing carriers hiring with no experience right out of CDL school or at some point down the road.

7. wis bang

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    same road block no current experience and why the MEGA carriers CAN...it is all insurance!

8. L.A.toTX

Oct 10, 2021
    That's not true at all. There are plenty of small and mid-size carriers that hire right out of CDL school. No offense, but I feel like you are highjacking the narrative of this thread. Take care.

9. wis bang

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    In over 40 years I've been hiring and qualifying drivers; has to be over a thousand by now; just trying to help not derail.

There are companies that hire new guys and I recommend reading all the 1099 posts, etc. to see how that works out...

I won't pee on your post anymore

10. L.A.toTX

Oct 10, 2021
    The companies to which I am referring are not 1099. I can list 15 to 20, if you doubt what I am saying. I appreciate your experience. The only point I was making is that you were adding another aspect to the discussion which wasn't relevant to the matter of discussing "stale" CDLs, at least not for recent grads.

11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    But there are many reasons for the stale issue. He's just pointing out one of those.

wis bang Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.