Stan koch trucking, good company to work for

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by exwallybulldawg, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I called them today... asked a bunch of questions and got somehow interested.... But would like to know from you, Koch drivers.

If I remember right, recruiter said that most of their trucks have double bunk. But when checking the images of their terminal in MN, looks like there is a lot of of Internationals and Volvos mid roof with one bed only...

[​IMG]

And trucks with super single tires...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior size of truck and room storage is one of my key requirements when finding my next company... I live in the truck for 3 months at a time, cook in the truck and all... I definitely can't fit my things and feel comfortable in a truck that small... I can't go all the way to their terminal right now and see their equipment and talk to their folks there...

So, I ask YOU, Koch drivers, do they have more mid roof trucks than high roof w/double bunks?

What are the chances of a new hire of getting a truck with double bunk? And super single tires?

If I go to orientation, I would be prepared to go anywhere, in my own vehicle to p/up the truck they have available... but I can't accept a mid roof with single bed and don't want super singles. Do you guys think they would be able to accommodate me or work it out?

Are ALL their trucks 10 speed? Are there any automatic?

And one last question... are all your trucks governed at 64mph? Is that the fastest they can go??

I really, appreciate any response... Those are very important things for me... Don't want to put all the effort and time and money into going all the way to MN if I will not sign up with them because I hate the truck... My next truck will not only be a place to work but my real home.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. samurai

samurai Heavy Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Fairborn, OH
    wow mr picky. maybe you should buy your own truck. if you have that much stuff how would you haul heavy loads? most companies you get what they give you. so you should probably look for a company that only runs the type of truck you want.

4. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I would doubt the weight of his stuff isnt too bad, but it does sound like he has alot. I spent over a year in a truck and I had a duffle bag, a toolbox, cooler, laptop and a briefcase. I hate having clutter. It already sounds like its not going to work out for you. There are plenty of companies the have double bunk sleeper s, duals, and run 65.

5. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    HAHAHAH.... Call me Ms...:biggrin_25519: It hasn't been the first time I was called "picky"... :biggrin_2559: But I am not being picky. I am a "homeless" driver, have been living in a comfortable Cascadia Freightliner with double bunks for 5 yrs... always carried all my stuff with me and never had any problem with my weight.... but decided it was time to move to something different. However, feeling comfortable in the truck is one of my main requirements.

YES... I do agree with you that I would be better off buying my own truck and I intend to do so in the future but that's not a choice at this point.

When looking for my next place to call "home", I am taking in consideration many things, one of them is their trucks, interior space, transmission, tires, APU, etc. I see Koch has a variety of trucks... some I like some I don't. I totally understand companies will offer their new hires whatever they have available. With that been said, I would not sign up with a company if I had no guarantee that I would be able to get a non-automatic truck with double bunk after orientation. And I would be willing to wait some if that were the case or go somewhere else to get the truck. So, at this point I am collecting as much info as I can on Koch as I have some interest in this company. :biggrin_25519:

6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Generally company drivers stay on the road for no longer than 14 days and go home for a weekend or so... and most drivers eat at truck stops. So it's not difficult for them to have only a few bags in the truck. But when one literally lives in the truck and cook their own food in the truck and stays on the road for 2 - 3 weeks at a time, one needs to carry a lot more.
    I don't carry clutter. All I have is necessary and indispensable. Besides, I am vegetarian and have to stock up on some kinds of dry food and can food that I can't find everywhere on the road.

I wish what you said about "plenty of companies have double bunk sleeper, duals, and run 65" were accurate... Unfortunately, after checking over 100 companies I find most of their trucks are slow 62 - 64 mph, have dual bunks for teams only and keep their solo drivers in a small region or force them to go NYC which I don't want.

Yes... call me picky again... :biggrin_2559: But after 5 yrs doing this, I intend to go somewhere where I will stay for at least one yr and I want to enjoy it. :biggrin_25519:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    If you guys don't mind answering, would like to know a few things about the Best Buy account. Are BB loads high security type of loads? Does it run between Ardmore and Southeast only? Do you guys go to Miami? Where else does it go? Northeast too? Where do these drivers park the truck during their hometime? Does company have a safe location in GA or TN?

After reading some drivers' comments here and adding what recruiter said, seems solo OTR drivers go more places (all northeast and all the way to CO), they run more miles and get newer trucks... and drivers living in the upper Midwest like MN, IA, IL, WI, IN and northern MO, can get the Cummins account which seems to be very good. Did I get that right?

8. snowman28574

snowman28574 Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Im a former driver of just recently and the safety score is over 83% which is taking a huge toll of the company right now since it soared the past few months. The Koch brothers, Randy Dave and Tom, aren't really involved in the company, Connie Koch who runs payroll is the only one somewhat involved. They are loosing Federal Ammunition account. The orientation size every week is growing by leaps and bounds ever since Chuck left. Company is going to hell pretty quickly. If on the Cummins board just a heads up that Rick Lueck, load planner for Cummins Board, and Tammy McCabe, dispatcher for Cummins Board, is in the same bed which is a huge conflict of interest. If you have Tammy for a dispatcher you will either get a long list or short list of loads to depart Minneapolis depending on how much brown you have on your nose. If you get Dave Dimartino watch out cause he is dumber than a box of rocks. The general freight or OTR board sucks, every week when I was there in between loads those were the drivers complaining. Polaris does great when I spoke with those drivers. To sum it up very friendly drivers except for 1 ###### from Cleveland, OH who claims hes "Cajun" or "Creole" just cause he has lived in New Orleans for a few years, and the company has very few in corporate with a mile experience under their belt and expect the impossible.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. linctech2000

linctech2000 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Are you still with Koch? I'm thinking of hiring on ..just would like to know if it a decent company..thanks in advance

10. LT48

LT48 Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2014
    I live 7n Columbus, ga. I was thinking about there Polaris account. Delivering ATV'S. IS TAHT A PRETTY GOOD ONE. OR WOULD OTR REGIONAL BE BETTER

11. dragandflyexpress

dragandflyexpress Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2014

Polaris is a good part of the company. The drivers are always moving in one way or another. Even when the plants are shut down you will still be moving. Loads are always light unless you have to take an otr load. Then you might encounter 45k. We have all new trucks. 2013/2014/2015 Volvo 670's. Majority of them are automatic and they do have super singles. We also have 2014/2015 International Prostars. Again, majority of them have automatics and super single tires. There are still a few trucks out there with straight 10's in them and duals. The volvo's have a 50/50 chance of having a double bunk, but the prostar's all have single bunk. We are doing a test on some Kenworth T680's atm.

They pay here at Koch is comparable to other companies I have seen. For 2 years experience you would most likely start off at .38 cpm. But don't quote me on that. Dedicated accounts such as Best Buy have a different pay scale. Hazmat is not required but is requested. If you have hazmat on your license you receive .01 cpm on all miles regardless if its a hazmat load or a regular load. We have stop pay, detention pay, layover pay, unload pay, deck pay, tarp pay for those on the cummins board, good hometime and awesome fleet managers. Rider program is from day one. There is a cost associated with having a rider but that is normal. If you are married and coming to orientation your wife/husband is allowed to stay in the hotel with you during orientation. They do not provide transportation for you spouse, that is up to you.

Orientation is about like any other company. 3-4 days depending on which division you opt into. You have a private hotel room with a shared living area. We feed you. Yes you read correctly. We feed you LOL. Lunch is at orientation while breakfast and dinner are at or near the hotel. This is no cost to you. In order to get you to orientation, most drivers are flown into Minneapolis. Some take a bus or train and some bring their own vehicles. We have employee parking for those who wish to bring their own vehicles, just make sure its listed with safety.

All in all Koch is a great company. Best one I have driven for yet. I have been here 2 years on the otr board and absolutely love it. Love my fleet manager as well. I am a person, not a number. When you are willing to work for what you want you can go a lot of places. They say the grass isn't always greener on the other side but you will never know until you cross that fence.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.