Standard CB or SSB radio? What do you recommend for a newbie?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Barricadebouncer, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Barricadebouncer

Barricadebouncer Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2022
    Forgive me if this has been asked before. I’m a rookie driver looking to buy a radio. Is there a need for a SSB radio?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Not unless you have a Ham license. Truckers use CB and mostly only channel 19.

Bfr38 and Another Canadian driver Thank this.
  4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    No ham license is required to transmit on cb ssb

5. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Go with a standard CB. I'm a fan of Cobra 29s.

Bfr38 and Another Canadian driver Thank this.
  6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Seeing op is a new to this stuff,MY SUGGESTION is to keep it simple and do research...
    Most radio manufactures make a radio that failrly simple and plug n play with very little set up needed....
    DO NOT SPEND BIG $ ON A RADIO YET!!!!!

My suggestion is focus on antenna set up for the car/truck your gonna be useing this radio in..

Ant type,mount location,coax,stud all make a different in your trans/rec so dont just buy willy nilly....
    Watch some youtube vids and do some reaserch from here and other sites before you buy...When it comes time and you are well verced in antenna set up then you can consider a bigger radio BUT at the same time your gonna be forced to learn more to take advantage of that radio...
    A good antenna set up with a basic radio will do better than a good radio with a crappy antenna set up...
    Good luck and when you have more question ask but at the same time you gotta do the work with a lil study time..

7. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  8. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    SSB is really only used for long distance skip communication, which to me isn’t the point of CB radio in a truck. For short range communication with other trucks to find out road conditions or even just chat, any cheap CB will do. If you want to talk long range, get a ham radio.

9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    High powered ######## shooting skip have pretty much ruined CBs, at least as far as the typical truck application goes. It's pretty sad when you can't talk across the median to another truck, but you can hear some jerk clear across the country talking incessantly and saying nothing.

N3TD3ViL, MM71, Chuck579 and 8 others Thank this.
  10. TruckerLlew

TruckerLlew Medium Load Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Oklahoma
    If you want to use cb as a tool for work? No ssb necessary. If you want to use it for work AND to begin a hobby for entertainment? Go with ssb.

11. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    With the solar cycle on the upswing SSB could be interesting. Go with a simple radio like the uniden 980. Leave it alone, get your antenna system checked and go play. If you decide you like radio as a hobby you can take your time and research radio best for your interest. A great radio with a lousy antenna system will just frustrate you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.