Starport Transportation (leaseing)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by crosswind, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Don't forget, you paying for your own health insurance, and since not a company deal, will pay through the nose. Your withholding your own taxes, and a higher rate, paying your own Work comp insurance, Property taxes if they apply, etc, etc, etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    would it make sense to lease on to a company and pull their trailer, but keep your own insurance, plates, and authority so you can still pull your own trailer when eva ya want, or is that not possible?

4. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    I wonder if Starport went out of biz?
    Drover by on I44 last week, coming back from Springfield, and noticed that the big electronic billboard/sign was gone?
    They usually have a truck out front, looked like a few trailers in the yard.
    Just curious.

5. sexytrkrwife

sexytrkrwife Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Crocker, MO
    They are still there,they just moved to Strafford behind the TA. Take the exit to the TA and follow the outer road around to Starport. They don't have any trucks out there so who knows what he has available. But if your gonna go get a truck from them be prepared to starve and not have a place to live in except your truck. They will take everything you got and leave you nothing.

6. garylobo

garylobo Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Kissimmee, FL
    Yeah, SexyWife thanks - you know I almost went with Starport last Sept. when looking for a job - I actually was approved with them 3 weeks before I got approved by Calex, and was very anxious to get going - but something kept holding me back.

Then I asked them to send me a copy of the contract - the guy was reluctant to do so but finally did. Once I got it I could see why he was reluctant - it was all one-sided! I remember thinking - I'm #4 in line to get paid - after Megatrux, Starport and maintenance. Ugh. And Starport actually handled sending me my check - no direct deposit. Had a bad feeling about it and held off til I saw if I would start with Calex. Best move I ever made waiting those extra 3 weeks! I'm very happy at Calex - check out John Boy's thread sometime if you're looking for a good company. Only thing with them is that you need to live at one end or the other of their freight lanes to get on. -- which makes sense if you like your regular hometime.

Anyway, thanks again for confirming what I suspected about Starport. I have heard good things about Megatrux though - if you can buy your own truck and put it on there you could do well I believe.

7. sexytrkrwife

sexytrkrwife Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Crocker, MO
    Hey Garylobo, Your welcome. Anytime I can help out a fellow driver. We were with Starport for almost 3 years,our truck was almost paid off. Then because he was in the hole with the bank(that's what we can figure anyways) he pulled our truck out from underneath us and left us high and dry. Thank goodness we lived close enough that I was able to drive to Springfield to help my husband clean out the truck and get him home. They are bad news.. There's a lot more that has happened too(don't know if you read all the comments on here or not). But check them out. I have all kinds of information LOL.
    I'm glad you found a good company to run with. Hope it all works out for you, be safe.. Megatrux is good if you own your truck and lease on to them. Other then that be careful with them too.

8. tiredoldman

tiredoldman Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas Texas
    Here is a real problem and i just dont get it, all this badrap about starport in this forum and even more bad rap about JCT in that forum, now I aint no old school driver like some of you and I respect all your input because you all have valid points.... To those who have been screwed by Starport or JCT where in Gods name are the lawyers willing to give these company's a good trashing in court.... you would think if you have a signed contract and they screw you as bad as it is claimed you'd want to get even and sue the heck out of them... what y'all have said is illegal and if you have documented all your deliveriies and drop times and documented everything you havbe done for the company according to their conduct and contract they would not have a leg to stand on in court..and you'd probably put them out of business.... If I remember right Prime went though this a few years back and they were investegated and found guilty of scaming the drivers... correct me if i'm wrong. I understand it's a rip when leasing to own but unless you have money to put down on a fairly new rig or good credit leasing is the only option to be O/O Right ?

9. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Lawyers are very expensive and you'd be hard pressed to find one to take your lawsuit unless you had the $$$ up front...most drivers are just regular folks living paycheck to paycheck...

10. americus1905

americus1905 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Stay away they will rip you off the will leave you stranded and broke very mean and unprofessional mike moss and gery horrible people stay away unless you want to never own a truck and loss everything you have and no warrenties and no records all lies

11. americus1905

americus1905 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2011
    we are sueing them and were trying to get enought drivers to get a class action laws suite

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.