Start of a new journey.....

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by SgtLugnut, Jun 14, 2016.

1. SgtLugnut

SgtLugnut Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Central Louisiana
    Just got off the phone with my Maverick recruiter. Got to call back tomorrow to get my orientation date and then I am off to North Little Rock! I am on my way to my soon-to-be-ex job, so I will make a better post tomorrow morning when I get off work.

ramanrere Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thodges

thodges Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2014
    daytona beach,florida
    What made you choose them? How long have you been driving? Is this a yeaaaaa i made it post lol. Co grats man.. Hapoy to see you join our delightful world

4. SgtLugnut

SgtLugnut Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Central Louisiana
    Ok, a little bit more information. Without getting too far in depth, I graduated from a "Truck Driving School" here in central Louisiana the first week in January. At the time, I had no intention of going OTR. I went in the first place because the VA sent me a letter telling me to use my GI Bill before it expired. ( Apperently if you don't use them within 10 years of your discharge you lose it.) So I figured if I didn't want to go OTR, I could always use it to supplement my current income and drive locally. Unfortunately, most of the local companies around here want at least 1 year of experience. So I put the whole idea of driving on the back burner till about May. My wife was reading the paper and noticed all the ads for drivers. But again, I was lacking in experience. So I went online and started looking at all the major carriers out there. Both of my step children had just married and it was just my wife and I at the house. She said if I wanted to go OTR, she would just go along with me. However the more companies I called the more I was turned away because it had been greater than 4 months since I graduated. Schneider and Werner both wanted 3 months experience or be within 3 months of graduation. The only company I initially talked to that had a little leeway in that requirement was Averitt with 6 months from graduation, but I was outside of that by 3 days. So I searched online for companies that had there own driving school, and came up with a few ideas. And to make a long story short, Maverick soon rose to the top of that list. Providing I make it through graduation and get a job offer, I will be driving OTR flatbed. Only time will tell what kind of kinks there will be.

5. thodges

Jul 13, 2014
    daytona beach,florida
    Nice read.
    Great your wife supports you otr. Even greater she wants to join you.
    Advice..dont lease a new truck.
    Save and get your own outside of a company.
    And just to throw it out there SWIFT is a big company that also has flat bed right next door to you in tx. Even got schools all over. Did you happen to check them out?

SgtLugnut Thanks this.
  6. SgtLugnut

SgtLugnut Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Central Louisiana
    I did. The recruiter said since I didnt live within 150 mile of a terminal that it would be hard to get me home. Talked to Ryan at Maverick. He has my orientation penciled in for the June 26th. Said he will let me know for sure on Monday when he receives his student assignments.

7. thodges

Jul 13, 2014
    daytona beach,florida
    Where do you live?
    Yeah ive seen a lot of ppl post about maverick. You should be fine there.

8. SgtLugnut

SgtLugnut Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Central Louisiana
    Central Louisiana. About halfway between Alexandria and Leesville.

9. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I used to work for Maverick. Great company. When I started it had been 2 1/2 years since I got my cdl and they took me. Only reason I am not there now is because I moved out of hiring area. Best wishes and God bless!

10. trucker_nick212

trucker_nick212 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Gardner Kansas
    Well I'm actually on the bus headed to maverick right now. I'm traveling from Kansas City so about to hit Springfield Mo. Glad to see you got you applications accepted. Hope to cross paths with you in our new adventure.

11. SgtLugnut

SgtLugnut Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Central Louisiana
    Cool. Maybe I'll see you there. Ya'll take care!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.