Start school next week, want to go flatbed

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CorkyBreh, Nov 26, 2022.

1. CorkyBreh

CorkyBreh Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2022
    Hello everyone, I start school next week to get my CDL (not a sponsorship) and I'm looking to get into flatbed after I graduate and have a few questions on which company to go with and if any company offers all of the things below (I am in Ohio):

Regional,
    Allow Rider,
    APU and Inverter

Not a big list but mainly I concern myself with being able to have an APU because I will be bringing my gaming PC with me and it has an RTX 3090 in it, an APU with a beefy inverter would be nice to have so I can game in my downtime. If anyone has a company that would fit this criteria please let me know.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
  4. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    I believe most of the larger fleets that hire new drivers have stopped spec'ing diesel APUs on the trucks. They either rely on opti-idle, which auto-starts and stops the engine when the batteries get too low and for cooling/heating, or a combination of opti-idle with a battery powered EPU. 1200-1500 watts seems pretty standard for the inverter rating. I haven't had a truck with opti-idle yet, but I would think it should keep the batteries up as long as the inverter is large enough to handle the load. My current truck has a diesel APU, but only because it's one of the older ones in the fleet. They're getting to be more rare as the older trucks are cycled out.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @CorkyBreh --

After you finish 14-hour days of tarping, strapping, chaining, fighting traffic....and all the other things you'll have to learn & do as a newbie while (seemingly) being fed from a firehose--you will probably be too tired to fool with PC gaming. :rolleyes:

Good flatbed starting options include (but aren't necessarily limited to):

Driver Jobs - Great Industry pay for CDL-A Flatbed Drivers | Jordan Carriers Driver Recruiting

Hiring Map | Maverick (maverickusa.com)

Both hire in your area.

--Lual

6. CorkyBreh

CorkyBreh Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2022
    Well can't get much worse than it already is for me mentally lol. I currently work as a Juvenile Corrections Officer and have been working 16 hour shifts 5 days a week for the past 4 months and get about an hour a day to game so that little bit of extra time I have while trucking will be a god send ;)

Zoltan1a Thanks this.
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @CorkyBreh --

You won't really need that PC anymore for gaming, after you finish CDL school.

You will be "gaming" every time you get behind the wheel. :D

Your new ( :eek: super-duper, full-sized) "monitor" will be your windshield, and side windows/mirrors.

Your "joystick" and other PC controls will now be a steering wheel, floor petals, instruments, ELD, etc.

Your gaming "score" will now be your paycheck, with any earned bonuses--and also the results from any citations, accidents, DOT inspections, etc. More bonus points--if you don't hit anything--ever!!! :cool: Still even more bonus points (later) if you're not a job-hopper...:oops:

Just think: you'll have the opportunity to "game" like this...for up to 11 hours a day, EVERY DAY.

Why bother to go virtual--when you already have up to 11 hours per day of the real thing (and get paid for it)? :)

How incredibly cool will that be? ;) :p

--Lual

JC1971, tscottme and chrismcallister34 Thank this.
  8. CorkyBreh

CorkyBreh Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2022
    I absolutely love this :D I’m getting into trucking for maybe 2 years tops, buying a mobile home with cash and getting out lol. No house payment ftw.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    chrismcallister34 and Kyle G. Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trucking Logistic Company - Gypsum Express LTD.
    Spacious cabins, noise-dampening insulation, and furnishings for Sirius XM radio, along with auxiliary heating and cooling, guarantee that our drivers stay well rested and up-beat while over the road.
    [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.