Started PTEC in St. Petersburg, FL

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by strawberryrhubarbpie, Aug 22, 2011.

1. strawberryrhubarbpie

strawberryrhubarbpie Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Ft Myers, FL
    Nobody told me how to add photos lol. I have quite a few, but I think I need to figure out how to go to the advanced editor or something.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vmaggs

vmaggs Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Sarasota, Fl
    Strawbs, stay away from werner if you can. US Express runs pretty good equipment and would be a great starter company, probably get a cascadia. Most companies will require you to train seperately, don't let this discourage you guys, just do it and you'll be teaming before you know it. Good luck.

strawberryrhubarbpie Thanks this.
  4. strawberryrhubarbpie

Jun 16, 2011
    Ft Myers, FL
    Yes we have decided US Xpress over Werner for sure. Mostly due to the pay, we didn't realize it but Werner pays team drivers .29/mile, versus US Xpress .44 w/out hazmat and .48 with hazmat (that's our next step!) But now I am also talking with a recruiter from Schneider National. We had a student come in and talk to us about them, they don't hire out of Florida but they do make exceptions if they have a need. So the recruiter is talking with his manager now. They only pay .31/mile but training is only 7-10 days, and we go together! US Xpress is 3 1/2 weeks, seperately. Werner is 6-7 weeks!!!!

5. DocG

DocG Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Florida
    Keep up the good work!!!

6. Sequoia

Sequoia Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
  7. strawberryrhubarbpie

Jun 16, 2011
    Ft Myers, FL
    Yeah... I know right? I'm not sure what all goes on, I'm still trying to research it. The lady that came to the class said that orientation was like boot camp and she almost didn't make it through, well I've been in the military so I'm not worried about that (she was a hair dresser) but what it tells me is that they want to see if you are tough enough, I guess. I know you go out and drive and practice skills tests during orientation, and you have to pass driving and skills tests. And I know they want to see you do 7 back-ups during training. I'm still researching...

As for the school, I think I forgot to update that lol. Thursday we all went out to get the last of our miles, and Monday we have to go back to be taught weights and measures, and then get our certificates. We're almost done!!!

8. vmaggs

vmaggs Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Sarasota, Fl
    Take the USxpress offer. they are a team company and 3 weeks is about right to get your feet wet and learn they're way of doing things. How anyone drives a truck that is pumpkin orange is beyond me :biggrin_2559: USXpress has decent equipment from most of the trucks I see. You should try to get into a Cascadia if you get a choice, it is roomy enough for a team. keep us posted I'd like to know that u found a good first gig.

9. Sequoia

Dec 4, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Well, USX has an interesting physical from what I've read here. Practice your duck walk!

Dang, I should have brought in some duplicate copies of CAT scale tickets so you can see examples of axle weights and how many holes to slide to make it legal. Eh, you'll get that training in class anyway. Since I left early for Werner, I missed out on that and got to learn about weights and measures and tandem sliding while out on the road training.

10. Sequoia

Dec 4, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ..they don't teach you in class what to do if the tandem puller thingy is so worn that it won't stay pulled out, either. Oh, hmm, I think USX has this cool feature where you can unlock the trailer tandems from inside the cab. That's pretty darn handy.

11. strawberryrhubarbpie

Jun 16, 2011
    Ft Myers, FL
    Well to be honest I didn't quite get it completely, it's kind of confusing... she explained inner bridge and how to slide the fifth wheel and the tandems and how each peg can be 500 pounds or less depending on the trailer... but I figured I'll get more training on all that with the company we go with.

I kind of like pumpkins, and it IS that time of year lol!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.