Starter Companies! Decisions Decisions!

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by wfutch79, May 20, 2017.

1. wfutch79

wfutch79 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    I recently received my CDL Permit and will begin school very soon. I am trying to decide what starter companies to begin my career with. I am entering an 8 week program that is 320 hours and each student gets 1000 miles of driving time so I have a little bit of time to apply and think about it.

I have a list I have compiled based on my own research and reading reviews and I would like to get some opinions on each company, please only comment on a specific company if you have worked for them. I have read a lot of reviews on each company, I just want some real world experiences from current / past company drivers of each.

If you have a suggestion of another company I should look into go ahead and leave a comment with the company name and why you think it is a great company.

Keep in mind I am on the Gulf Coast of Florida near St. Petersburg, so the company must be hiring out of that area. I have checked my list already and I am in their hiring areas.

The list I have in no particular order is:
    • J&R Shugel
    • H.O. Wolding
    • Stevens Transport
    • TransAm Trucking
    • Abilene Motor Express
    • Wil-Trans

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    School is wonderful. But your real learning will begin when you are issued a trainer for a while and then later with your very own assigned tractor, to fly and soar or crash and burn depending on what you have learned.

Think about the kinds of trucking you want to do instead. Do you like reefer? Van? Flat? Tanker? etc. You will find that certain kinds might bore you to tears and make a bad driver out of you in the future. Other kinds will work on your creativity and ownership of what I would call precision trucking which usually means flatbedding.

Learn a manual, test on a manual where possible. Do not let them shove a automatic down your throat. Keep in mind that your stress levels in learning curve is high. Once you master something you are ready for something else.

These forums are filled with stories that begin just like yours. And sometimes end badly, most of the time you survive your first year and after your second or third in one employer you will understand what it means to write your own golden ticket to anyone wanting to hire you on the spot to something better.

Do not get caught up in what the recruiter tells you. Talk to actual drivers instead. It might take some buying of coffee or something else for the talk with the driver of a company you are looking at. If you got babies in your family don't go OTR. There are situations I would go the other way and advise you not to go on the big road.

Pay the loan off in full asap. You are literally investing about 4000 dollars into a life time of potentially one to three millions in earnings over 50 or more years. Youre entering a industry that has gotten pretty plush. Making me and my stories of certain hardships in my early years literally a history. A story and does not apply to you. Because you have airride, power steering, computer support and satellite comms etc. It's pretty amazing. You watch.

Finally you will learn deep down what you are really afraid of in trucking. Something will come up and provide you with a serious fight or flight reaction in your body driven by fear strong enough to threaten your ability to make decisions mentally and follow through without allowing said fear to take control of you. Lives depend on it. Myself for example my instructors discovered that mountain work was somethig I much rather not do. I was at the time a total city boy.

Well, all I did in school was mountain work, and more mountain work even on roads that really should not take a big truck. They made a monster out of me when I quit being scared of the mountain and flipped it to where I specialize in that work. I got very good with mountain work. It is what it is.

Good luck!

4. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    My first driving job was with Stevens Transport. My info may be a bit outdated, as I started there in the summer of 09. But i stayed for 2 and a half years.

The pay was on the low side, even for a starter company but the training was first rate. I got my CDL at a private school in TN (not their company cdl school). Orientation was about a week then it was off with an otr trainer for 5 weeks (don't expect to get home until you're done with your first trainer). Mine was great. He had about 5 Yeats experience and taught me a whole lot about the right way to do the job. I'm grateful that I got such a good trainer, as it's certainly not a guarantee that you will. I then went home for a week, went back to Dallas for 3 days for the second phase of orientation, then out with a different trainer for 3 more weeks. The second trainer is supposed to let you run the truck as if you were a solo driver (trip planning, all paperwork, Qualcomm etc.) and just be there to help out and make pointers. Then back to Dallas to test out for your solo truck.

Once solo, the pay raises come fairly quickly (though it's never at the top end for the profession). I did ok there, money-wise. I always made enough to live comfortably and I got a lot of great experience. Stevens is a true otr company and you will see all 48 states within your first 6 months or so (and Canada if you wish). I had a good experience working there and I enjoyed it. It's not a great fit for everyone but if you learn their system and learn how to work it, you will stay busy and keep moving and making money.

207nomad and SHOJim Thank this.
  5. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Reefer kind of appeals to me more than anything. Coming out of a heavy food industry background something about delivering food and food products appeals to me, that is why my list is heavy on reefer carriers. On the other side of it though I have read horror stories of waiting hours and sometimes days to get loaded/unloaded at some shippers and receivers.

The school I am attending does not even own an automatic truck, they have mostly 10-speed manuals and 1 13-speed manual.

I do have one child, a daughter who will be 13 soon so I won't miss out on to much being over the road. With technology these days her and her mother are just a phone call / video call away.

I won't have a loan over my head either, paying everything out of pocket, so I am doing it all the right way.

x1Heavy and Just passing by Thank this.
  6. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    At the time you were with Stevens did they allow pets? I am up in the air if I want to take a pet along with me or not. I hear it is good to have a companion along to keep you sane, especially for those long driving days.

7. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Refer for sure in Florida! But have you thought about local driving?

8. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Certainly I have considered local driving. I really want to do OTR to start to take in the true lifestyle of trucking and see some things I probably would never get to see otherwise. My plan is to go OTR for at least my first year and if I decide it is not for me start looking into regional or local gigs.

9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    If it hadnt been for their rider policy I would have been at H.O. Wolding.

10. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    I am hoping to make this a career. I will be 38 years old in September so I have a few more years of work left in me.

11. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    What about their rider policy turned you away?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.