Starter companies that won't sue you if you leave

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SandyEggo518, Mar 3, 2021.

1. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes I'd image the law suit only follows if the previous employee chooses not to reemberse the company for the training.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    I’ve heard good things about them. And I believe they have a man-camp for the season if you’re from out of the area.

born&raisedintheusa and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Find a good private cdl school or community college. If you can’t pay cash, put it on a low interest rate credit card. Some companies will help you pay it off (without being under contract). Look into Workforce Investment Act (WIA) -it could pay your tuition. Don’t become an indentured servant.

ncmickey, bryan21384 and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I went through the Swift Academy and went with Swift. I've driven for them long enough my 1 year commitment is long expired. So, wasn't an issue I had to deal with. However 2 folks I went to the Academy with both left Swift for other companies long before their 1 year was up. One went to Werner and the other went to Knight. Both Werner and Knight picked up their tab for their CDL training with Swift.
    So, the question might be expanded to, if I leave a company still owing money for their training, is there another company I can go to that will pay off the training?

bryan21384 and slow.rider Thank this.
  6. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    You don't need to do a contract to get the training. If you're legit poor, you can apply for a federal grant to cover training at a real independent stand-alone truck driving school, then you can choose most any starter company in your area and work for them with no contract. At my truck driving school we had a rep from one company or another come and do a presentation in front of the whole class almost every day. I've got a collection of over two dozen company logo pens that were handed out during those presentations. Look for smaller schools with a low teacher-to-student ratio. Five or eight students per teacher is real good.

Any decent school should be able to point you in the right direction for how to apply for the grant in your area. Just know that whether you have a contract or not, if you stick with one company for a year and don't get any tickets or accidents, then a whole lot of doors start to open up for you.

plankton Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I see nothing wrong with company sponsored training. Most companies you'll work for out of school are starter companies anyway. The ones that pay for your training only requires a year, maybe less.....that will come and go. You do have options other than company sponsored ones. Neither are bad routes. Gotta get trained somewhere

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  8. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    This... People default on their loans for training at ridiculous rates.. I think Trucking companies ought to have the same protections that colleges do..

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yellow Freight has their own cdl school and a terminal in San Diego.
    9525 Padgett St, San Diego, CA 92126
    ~
    Yellow hiring 1,500 drivers, opening 12 schools - FreightWaves
    Yellow hiring 1,500 drivers, opening 12 schools - FreightWaves
    Yellow tackling driver problem (Photo: Jim Allen/FreightWaves) As the trucking industry continues to grapple with a lack of qualified drivers to meet elevated demand, less-than-truckload provider Yellow Corp. ( NASDAQ: YELL ), formerly YRC Worldwide, announced Monday it would add 1,500 drivers and open 12 new driver academies.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  10. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Just find a state vo tech school that has a CDL class.
    In my state it’s $1,600 and it’s a good 13 week class. There will be a room full of recruiters If you pass it , and they flunk students regularly.
    You get two weeks to learn to back up and if you can’t do it after two weeks, you’re out. you get two weeks to learn shifting . If you can’t do it after two weeks of practice, you’re out .
    You can come back next symester, without having to pay again, but you’re out of this class .

plankton Thanks this.
  11. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Roadhouse what state and what tech school.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.