Starting a Dump Truck Business

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Strongheld, Dec 1, 2022.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    and that’s different then a majority of the rest of the industry how?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Around here (100 mile radius of Cleveland, Oh.) I see nothing but really nice newer trucks. Exceptions of course!

A dump truck around here makes 600 to 1000 a day depending on the truck and the material.

They run a LOT!!

Vampire Thanks this.
  4. thatsright

thatsright Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2022
    Well I know people that know other people and so on and so forth. Thats where the rumors come from. I just have to figure out which ones are somewhat true. I also still live in somewhat a small town so i may have an advantage over others. I will call someone I know before I do anything. Just so happened i needed to have a car towed and I called a guy that has a rollback well he did have. He had sold it BUT he said let me call someone. That someone came and got it for me. I think some people call it networking.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    What you described is what I did. One man show that brought in 3 or 4 other small outfits.

Like REO said though, if you don’t know you don’t know. I did make some great contacts through this experience though.

One guy referred by one of the drivers came out and replaced all of the hydraulic lines and fitting on my old excavator. Mobile truck with everything onboard. I’d been looking for a service like that for a couple months. Just a real fantastic person and new friend to boot.

6. thatsright

thatsright Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2022
    Most of the guys around here know each other so this is not likely to happen. Lol.

Vampire Thanks this.
  7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    A few things to mention about dirt work.......You will not fire up your truck in the morning and drive 4 mi to the job site, you will drive a lot of empty, non-paying mi. Your truck goes where the work is, even 100 mi away. The truck makes $$$ in several different ways. By the hour, by the load or by tonnage. If you are running a "by the hour " job you will get signed out if you goof off.

If you take an out of town job, you pay the hotel bill. Winter work slows way down. You should ride with a driver a few days to see for yourself if this is your cup of tea, as my grandmother used to say. Asphalt jobs (highway paving) require the driver to know his stuff when arriving at the job site. Pay to the truck mostly 30-45 days later. Contracting work can be hap-hazard with supervisors yelling and plenty of grunts bossing you around. Can you work a new job next week that requires overnight start time at 8pm ? Now, that's fun ! Oh, and the one I really like, you show up at the load site at 6am 50 mi from home and there's a line of trucks about 30 long and you time doesn't start until the first bucket hits your trailer ! !

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Good description.

D.Tibbitt and Lonesome Thank this.
  9. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Well said!

10. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    This is a great description. And might I add after all of this you’re 300 lbs over and the scale house won’t let you out overweight. And if you’re anything like me you either dump off 30 lbs or 3,000 lbs :mad:

Vampire Thanks this.
  11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    a lot of places are not letting you leave overweight any more, and some (waste management) will park you off to the side in “time out” if you roll in heavy.

Ive spent a little bit of time in time out….

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.