STARTING A NEW CAREER WITH JBH

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by GCDMN., Feb 21, 2016.

1. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    So on my way back from Ind/Chi run again. 3 of 4 training runs have gone there. Got first paycheck yesterday and was surprised. My first training run was from 1030pm Thursday to about 1145am Friday morn then I bunked out while the trainer drove home. I was figuring 150 bucks for that run. Turns out 150 for each day so 300 bucks for the run plus the 195 for orientation. This week it will be 5 days plus the 12 hour spotting/1 short training run day. Should be well over 900 bucks gross on next weeks check. I'm happy with that for a training week.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sounds like training end could be near. Gonna have sat and sun off go to Omaha monday then another Chic/Ind run on tuesday into Wednesday but I will start off in the sleeper. After the last stop I will be driving too the Chicago JBH yard and dropped off to pick up a truck that's been serviced there and bobtail it back to Mpls. Not sure if that will be my truck??? I've never bobtailed that kind of distance. Hope it doesn't rain a bunch.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  4. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Keep us updated on your progress.

5. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Got called in for spotting duty again today. This time I used the yard donkey (Ottawa). Sure makes trailer jockeying easier but man is it hard on the driver. Auto trans is nice but other than that it's more like driving a farm tractor that can go highway speeds. Rough ride and touchy brakes.

6. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Things change rapidly. I've been assigned to a truck and leave this eve dinner time on my own. 597 mile round trip so since I've never been to the locations I doubt I can turn it. Gonna be close but the 62mph thing will probly kill it and it's probly only half interstate driving anyways. Im gonna give it my best shot though cuz I know I've done 619 in about 10:40 of driving but it was all interstate. got a 2013 FL Cascadia in good condition. Little damage in just the inserts around radar system in the front bumper but I took pics. Bumper is not marked at all. Pretty clean inside no spill stains and not even that dusty just need to sweep the floor a bit. I kinda wanted a Pro Star because of the steering wheel radio controls and the blue tooth decks but I'm sure not gonna complain about significant extra space in the Cascadia vs the Pro Star.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  7. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Did first run on my own. Bad start, trailer had some light issues that I had to have repaired. Bummer spotter didn't see that. Rivoted in lights but as it turned out bad ground wire near one of the effected side turn signals. If I didn't have all the first run things going thru my head I hope I could have figured that out on my own. When entering repair notice I accidentally logged in about 45 min befor necessary and that ended up getting me. I did overshoot my first destination in north Wisc by about 11 miles so the 22 miles and time figuring killed me also. Without those I should have turned the run without having to take the 10.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  8. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    As it turned out I was about 60 miles short cuz of the delays. Deliveries went ok. I definitely need to shave time off those. But was still under an hour at each stop. Be home by 9pm tonight and think I could be back out by 3 pm tomorrow

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  9. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Oh yeah I keep forgetting. Needed some type of steel toe footwear so I picked up some Sketcher composite toe shoes. They look more like a hiking boot but mid top at ankle. Have memory foam inserts and are very comfy. 89 bucks at Fleet-farm

10. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Did another run. 3 stopper with a final in Bismarck ND. Had to take my 10 not far from last stop. Just about to shove off for the 400 mile drive home. I'm the only person doin 62mph out here. Speed limit is 75mph so I'm pretty much a road hazard cuz evrybody else is doin at least 80.

11. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Made it back from ND. That was a long 420 miles. It's the same distance to Chicago for me but that seemed a lot farther. Think I'm headin to Missouri tonight. Not exact sure on the mileage but it's got to be near 500 one way. Not sure if it's one delivery or multiples. If it's one then my first week will wind up 2500+ miles but only 6 deliveries.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.