Starting a pick up that has been sitting for a year .

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by bzinger, Nov 5, 2019.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Thanks in advance for the replies !
    My brother in law passed this last spring and I inherited his 2001 ford ranger xlt 4x4 ext cab 4.0 v6 and 5 speed manual trans .
    It's in pretty good shape with 156k on the clock but has been sitting unstarted ...outside ...in Minnesota for over a year .
    I'm a trained tech before I started driving 30 years ago so I know the basics such as pitch the battery and drop the oil...was running good when parked and will give it a good going over before driving it back to Omaha.
    ? Is anything I need to know about starting it after sitting a year? ...I plan to keep it so want to be as kind as possible in the process .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Have a flatbed truck tow it to the shop. Drop battery, drop all fluids replace them all. Pull a couple of his plugs and see how bad they are. If fouled replace all of them.

You will need to pull the wheels and see where they are in the bearings, brake lines and if all of the brakes need bleeding and fresh fluid put in. (Back to fluids...)

Power steering and so on.

Service the transmission. Don't start that thing until you do. Meaning pull trans pan, look for metal, replace filter and fluids there. Probably the reservoir related to the clutch if it has one. Never let that go dry, if it did you will not have a vehicle anymore.

It seems like a lot of fix fix fix fix but what you are doing is solving problems before you get stranded half way to Omaha if you got in the thing and drive off.

The fuel will need replacing. Which is why you don't start it. It's too old and chances are nothing was put into it to preserve it.

And grease all fittings, dont forget the shaft and joints etc.

rabbiporkchop, LoSt_AgAiN and bzinger Thank this.
  4. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Maybe pull the plugs and shot some wd40 in . Lube the cylinder walls and rings , so it’s not a dry start . Of course close look at the belts and hoses .

austinmike and bzinger Thank this.
  5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Charge the battery . Check the fluids . Get in it and turn the key. Vroooom vroooom . It will be fine. 1 year isn't really all that long.

Hegemeister, Hulld, AModelCat and 4 others Thank this.
  6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I think I'd just try to start it, then go from there - Good luck and let us know what happens -

AModelCat and bzinger Thank this.
  7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I know for a fact the battery has been frozen so I'm not even messing with saving that .

austinmike Thanks this.
  8. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    My trusty Chevrolet set for over a year first time and 9 months the second time I was deployed in Iraq in 03 and 05. Started her up both times and changed oil after a cruise. Still have it, but it hasn't rolled over 70,000 miles. 1667.jpeg
    Now, you said Ford so cross your fingers! It should be fine.

9. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Thank you for your service and encouraging words ! Lol

10. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Combine sits for 11 months or so at a time. Oil gets changed before it gets parked. Hit the key and go. Backup grain truck/ extra farm trucks may sit for over a year, check the fluids and go. No reason to overthink it.

Wheeljack, x1Heavy, austinmike and 5 others Thank this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Marvel Mystery Oil, a couple of ounces in each cylinder, crank it over with a rachet not the starter, check all the fluid levels, belts battery liquid, put a charger on it bring it up to voltage before you want it to work.
    Change the gasoline, before you turn on the key if it has a electric fuel pump, change the fuel filter.
    Cross your finger and starter up.

bzinger and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.