Starting a trucking business

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Natoyabell1992, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Natoyabell1992

Natoyabell1992 Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2020
    I have dispatching experience and I am currently working for a dot compliance company and I want to buy a truck and start a small trucking company with my own authority. My husband is not very supportive. I offered to pay for him to go to a school to learn how to drive vehicles with gvwr over 26001 lbs and get his cdl license and add him to the business so it can be an owner operator as oppose to hiring a driver. Is it worth it to hire a driver just starting out as a 1099 contractor?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Hmmmm....you'll get a lot of backlash if you're hiring on a 1099. Maybe you can hire someone as a lease purchase driver. I don't know, I am interested to see what the fleet owners on here will say. They will want to know how much capital you have, and how much knowledge of the business from driving side of things. My question is since your husband isn't very supportive, why dont you go to school on your own and obtain your CDL? That way you get a feel for the road and logistics side of things from the driver point of view

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A husband and wife are a team in life. If one will not throw their weight against what the other might want then it's a divided situation. IF you knew why hes not supportive then we'll see if it's got something to it.

Trucking is the fastest way to make a small fortune. From a large one. Its easier for people to bleed than to shovel increasing amounts of money that does not exist trying to fix things.

Dino soar and Hatt91 Thank this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    why would you want to do this?

Entry audit...

driver training rules coming...

Increasing attention from states looking to mega fine 'Missclasified' employers...paying 1099 to someone driving your truck will be a problem.

spending $2.00 to make $1.50 BEFORE expenses.....great business model

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I know you hate to hear this, but your husband is right

7. Shawn19

Shawn19 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It not that easy but give it a shot

8. amberfeldt

amberfeldt Light Load Member

May 20, 2019
    Minnesota
    Right now,as a carrier I would highly recommend you doing it.matter of fact i will sell you our truck,trailer, an MC an our old DOT number ,its a clean number.
    But Seriously! really I would follow your partners recommendations,an not do it, maybe later,like another year.
    Unless you have unlimited cash,or one of you are making good bank else where then pull the trigger an jump in.
    Had i know I would have maybe kept my old truck an keep pulling local,we were pulling walking floor trailer, an hauling trash from a transfer station,to a landfill for another company.
    It got expensive with parts,fixing on the weekend, an tires, it beat your truck bad an was just nasty, my favorite time for that was spring cleaning, when everyone put there winter stock pile of dog turds in the trash, it made for a pleasant day.
    I got sick of the clowns in the 4 Wheeler's in the MPLS/ST PAUL area,all day metro driving not fun.an really really really need a change.
    we weighed out the odds for everything for a few months,so we thought!!!! except a trucking resection. we burnt up a lot of money for little return last year,a different truck,trailer MC,insurance ECT . I personal went thru the truck for a month before we ran it .fixing this n that. that other Billy big riggers were trying fix the WRONG way .
    After you throw in BIG engine trouble, rear end trouble, bad rates,slow freight.Its a formula for a losing battle.If i couldn't fix my stuff we would be screwed.If i couldn't drive we would be screwed.
    If you buy a truck an shove it on someplace else as an O/O yeah maybe do it with him driving. but the no driving experience hurts for a year.
    Your new MC and DOT number will not be a good thing. an very expensive thru progressive insurance. our DOT number is old so that helped a lot
    If you talk the Hubsteer in to going to supper trucker school which i balk an laugh at. All you need to do if he wants to know how to drive.
    STUDY the Gen knowledge an everything else,go get permit.
    You have connections. USE YOUR CONNECTIONS.talk with your mom an pop carriers an see who will bring him on the truck an teach him how to drive, he drives for free for training, I am self taught that's how i got my CDL back then .
    The last few months i jumped on with an elder an he showed me the ropes how it works ,that was in the middle of the 90's different story now.
    You will save a lot of money ,you do not need to fall for the supper trucker school BS, or the big box super trucker big rigger schools.
    If i had to start from scratch today, no DOT, No Mc ,No driving experience.
    I would get CDL permit on my own,(no regret here.)
    I would find an owner operator to take me under his or her wing. (no regret here)
    I would get my CDL licence then (no regret here)
    I would then drive for them for 1 year if they an there insurance will let me.( no opinion)
    At the same time my spouse is working a normal job .

Then while we are both working other jobs,we would go get our DOT an MC paper started.
    we would go buy a pile of junk truck worth nothing but 500 bucks it does not need to run just a title an a truck. to transfer to our new Operating authority number,cause you need a truck to have your authority active with insurance.I say this move cuz if you buy a 30,000 to 150,000 dollar truck you are paying for the truck an insurance on it an you are not using it yet,cuz no one want you cuz you are to new.
    (if you have money then by all means jump in an buy till your harts content)

So now you both are in it for a year at other jobs , your MC is a year old, an you paid for hopefully cheap insurance thru that time. now you have 1 year of driving an your authority is 1 year old .doors open up a bit more.
    some brokers will take you right away ,or 6 moths or after a year. Big decision time right here folks
    that did not even matter how long i was in this industry , they think i was new cuz all they see is numbers on paper
    My first time in a truck was in 1978 as a kid going on the road on summer break, so i do know some ,not all, just some things i think i would do different . as i was typing this out my Partner, told me TQL,total quality logistics just laid off 700 people,due to the corona virus .An she said" If anyone gets in to trucking right now they are Blah blah blah.
    DO NOT DO IT unless you have lots of money or try my other suggestions.
    some people it works for, for us its been nothing but struggle. I am picky an prolly should not be, but i refuse to haul cheap freight an been home for 2 weeks sitting on my ###.
    I went an got a load yesterday.I look at my time, mileage ,weight,fuel, before i take a load. an do math,if it dont turn me on i sit
    I pull a skate board, I bought that with the intention of putting a Harley shed on the front of the trailer so we can take the bike with us an not worry about being confined to a truck on our reset.
    But that flatbed is kinda tough to get nice paying stuff right now. that i do not have to tarp.its there but you really have to look for it, an be in the right place at the right time, kinda like real estate ,location, location ,location.
    I do not tarp another strike against me looking for work, i hurt my back 5 years ago.I should be on van trailer but love my scooter,an want to drag that behind the truck. so it limits me...So my answer is no to, of your question unless you are banked.Maybe start a dispatching service . contact me ill try you out.I been wanting to try a dispatcher.
    Hopefully this will help some, some will think i am nuts, but hey !! not the first time i been i told i was crazy
    Thank you,Thank you ,very much he'll be back here again tomorrow folks.

bettyhudley09 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.