Starting an Intermodal Company (Midwest)

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Wild flamingo, Jul 9, 2022.

  1. Wild flamingo

    Wild flamingo Bobtail Member

    Jul 9, 2022
    Hello all,

    I want to get into the intermodal game as a provider. Going to buy a class 8 day cab for a driver and sign them as a company driver/ OO as well as lease on drivers for OTR down the road "no pun intended."

    Few questions I have.

    What do I need other than an MC number, seems like a very tight nit niche to get into because I cannot find anything on the web nor any of the rail lines on how to get setup and what I need to do to get setup.

    I know I will need our authority as well as insurances but what is not clear is the following on what exactly you need.

    UIIA or twic

    Insurance type (trailer interchange or through UIIA)
    Type of equipment, was looking anywhere between 2007-2009 Columbia series 60 but any suggestions are best.

    Not sure if I am missing anything on there but hey that is why I am here.

    Ive driven straight trucks and tractor trailers from the time I was 18-23 for a last mile 3PL and now work for a 3PL brokerage and primarily do dray and nothing to me about the process is foreign ( scheduling pulls, ERD, LRD, charges, sales, none of that is going to be an issue for me just want to understand further what it takes to get setup with the rail yards and how to actually get your MC set to roll into the rail ramp.

    Thanks for your time, have a great day!
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Crude Truckin'

    Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

    Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    With the economy headed where it is, itll be a race to the bottom. Save your money.
  4. baha

    baha Road Train Member

    Jul 25, 2013
    It might be worth it just to lease on to one of the big rail companies and gain some inside info.
  5. wis bang

    wis bang Road Train Member

    Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    a few basics....

    TWIC is needed by the driver and can be tied to some port only cards like 'Sealink'.

    The motor carrier with insurance to be registered with UIIA needs a SCAC [Standard Carrier Alphs-numatic Code].

    You register inurance with UIIA and specify which equpment carriers you want...problem is which steamship/RR/freight forwarder is going to accept it.

    You need an inside track first...
  6. ProfessionalNoticer

    ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

    Apr 25, 2021
    The steamship lines will not be interested in your offer. They work on volume. All of them require a minimum amount of trucks per fleet to handle endless low paying containers.
    wis bang Thanks this.
  7. striker

    striker Road Train Member

    Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    With zero experience, you need to get some exp. before you jump into this pond, the sharks and whales will eat you alive, and depending on the market, it may already be saturated with dray companies. I'm in Denver, when I started 24 yrs ago, there were 4 full dray companies and 4 that had limited access, today, there's at least 10 companies that are either fully based in Denver, or have a terminal in Denver and are headquartered elsewhere, and a lot of days, there's no freight to move.
    Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted