Starting at Prime soon, and excited!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Killermcgriddle, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Killermcgriddle

Killermcgriddle Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Already got approved for orientation. Bus leaves on March 10th and should arrive in the afternoon the next day coming from Florida. Hearing back in a few days from another recruiter with a detailed nus schedule and ticket info and whatnot.

After a failed credit check at TDI (not bad credit, just not enough/no credit and no one able to cosign ) I finally get a chance at this. Pretty #### nervous but after lurking around for a solid year and researching alternatives to cdl schools, a 1 year contract was the next options I had. Have a decent bit of money saved up too so financially I'm straight. Once I get my last check from where I'm working now, I'll update my budget to fit that in too. Hopefully won't have to worry about weekly $200 loans but we'll see. Money goes quick man. With this news of excitement I'm also nervous as hell, but we'll see.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Ramen and Campbell's chunky soup will keep you alive at about $4 a day. Take a good multi-vitamin and you won't even turn yellow;)

Remember there is always time to stop and consider what you are doing.

csmith1281 and homeskillet Thank this.
  4. Killermcgriddle

Killermcgriddle Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Never thought of multivitamins, so much appreciated.

Won't truly know whether or not it's something I'll truly enjoy until I do it, but so far I'm pretty into it. But prolly cause I'm reclusive by nature.

5. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Yeah the stop and consider what you are doingnis in reference to driving a truck. A lot of newbies break #### because they think it has to be done now! No no it does not.

The first rule is do not bend ####! Everything else is flexible.

6. ArcticWolves

ArcticWolves Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    USA
    Consider other companies for training that train as "team driving." Why learn in a team driving learning environment. You do understand that once you have your CDL it's you're driving while your trainer sleeps. Very rare that your trainer is awake while you're driving. This is why so many truckers say they see Prime trucks flipped/damaged/wrecked on the side of the road. It's no fault of your own due to your inexperience and newness with truck driving.

Make sure you really understand what it means when you're gone for 4 to 6 weeks in this environment daily. I like you was all fired up for Prime but then I started considering what kind of trucking I want to do. Why train as a team driver if my ultimate goal is to drive solo and own my own truck one day.

I'll leave you with this question to ponder: How would you feel about sleeping when someone you barely know may only have about 1 year of truck driving under their belt. Vice versa: If I was a trainer how would I feel about someone that just got their CDL-A driving while I'm sleeping? I don't know about you but that was easy for me to decide on not going with trucking companies that trained that way.

There are companies out there that train you as a "solo" driver you just have to do the legwork. Good luck

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  7. LateNightCable

LateNightCable Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2018
    When you say companies that train solo rather than team drivers, how do you mean? I figured teaming with a trainer for a period of time was standard practice. If a trainer is sleeping, you might as well be solo. I’d be compelled to request a new trainer in that event.

I’ve read that C.R. England teams you for a whole six-months after training, but you’re solo after that if you want to be. Same with Prime, albeit a shorter team period.

8. ArcticWolves

ArcticWolves Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    USA
    I mean companies that don't have your trainer sleeping in the berth while you're driving. That type of training/driving is team driving. It's nothing like solo driving. Basically the truck runs nonstop to it's destination. Anything that happens while your trainer is sleeping is on you pretty much. This is especially dangerous when driving in the elements of weather.

It's like that pretty much throughout your training until you hit your 30,000 miles but sometimes especially with prime they like to play games and keep you beyond the 30k miles. How much can you really learn if your trainer is sleeping while you're driving and vice versa you sleeping while he is driving. I feel it's better for both to be awake and alert.

You're not really learning that much in the other environment you may as well be on your own. You're just making your trainer easy money and miles.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    LateNightCable Thanks this.
  9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Congratulations. Prime is a great company. They have things well thought out.
    I wish you the best in your career with Prime.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  10. Friggidyfraggityducky

Friggidyfraggityducky Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Magical Fantasy Land
    I am not a truck driver however I am very a lazy cook and I hate doing dishes. That being said I like to try and eat healthy except for cheat days.

I've found parboiled brown rice to be a great staple. You bring it to a boil, cover, then simmer for 10 minutes and you are done.

The thing is though that the steam will cook raw chicken or fish through and they will be moist to boot. Never dry. I like to cut up Salmon, chicken boobs, or chicken tenderloins and throw them into the parboiled brown rice with lots of seasonings.

Simply Asia sweet Ginger garlic is great, low sodium and no calories. I also like putting in some everglades seasoning, dried parsley or cilantro flakes, and dried onion pieces. I order the seasons in bulk off amazon.

Sometimes after it's done I'll throw a tablespoon of sesame oil in but it's ok without it.

The pot has to be rinsed off and dried with a paper towel and then I set it to the side to dry. No washing necessary although I'll wash the pot a couple times a week for sanitary reasons.

If a truck driver were to use this with with plastic eating utensils out of paper bowls he could get away with rarely doing dishes, eating healthy, and eating cheapity cheap.

One cup of water per cup of rice.

If you put twice the amount of water the box says to use you can even make a stew by adding fresh onions and chopped veggies to the meat and seasoning. The steam will cook the veggies just like the meat so that by the time the rice is done the veggies and meat are perfect.

An airfrier is good for making healthy egg rolls, airfried seasoned chicken, airfried catfish. I haven't used it to cook a steak but the thought just occurred to me that it might be possible. I'm probably going to try it soon.

(this looks good, I'll probably try it medium rare on Tuesday)

This can all be done low fat and low sodium if you want. Except the steak.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    LateNightCable Thanks this.
  11. LateNightCable

LateNightCable Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2018
    Life on the road need not be so spartan when you care to be the trucker gourmet.

On next week’s episode, converting your sleeper to a part-time Turkish bath!

Friggidyfraggityducky Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.