Starting company for a rookie

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Fuelinmyveins, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Hi everyone, I am thinking about becoming a truck driver and would want to get hired by a company where I could get my CDL. Was thinking about going to local college for CDL A license, but I don't have $4,000 burning a hole in my pocket at the moment. I might try and get a loan if I can though. What companies offer paid CDL training and have either flatbed or tanker division. Not really interested in refer or dry van. Working at the distribution center I have seen many drivers waiting for hours to get unloaded. I'm located in NorthEast Pa, Mount Pocono area. Would like to be home on the weekends too. Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nickst

nickst Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Find out if the state will pay for it..most of the company's that will train suck. A lot of ltl companies have programs where they will train you while you get your cdl. Ltl usually pays more especially linehaul. Home time is more predictable too. Nothing like being in Detroit on friday when you were supposed to be home because "we don't have loads going that way"

4. Fuelinmyveins

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    I will have to look into that. Someone told me about UPS hiring for tractor trailer driver in my area that pays $34.50 per hour to start, but they want 1 year experience. XPO ltl also requires 1 year experience behind the wheel.

I wouldn't mind doing OTR for a while since I'm 25 and don't have kids.

themikep87 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    We preach to people on here to ignore "experience required" on websites, otherwise they may miss out on a good job.
    UPS Truckload and UPS Linehaul hire new cdl grads on a case by case basis and you must apply online only.
    XPO hires new cdl grads. Apply online the first day of cdl school.
    Old Dominion Freight Lines hires new cdl grads and in fact hired 14 students from the same class last year in PA. One woman in that class couldn't believe she landed such a fantastic linehaul job as her first trucking job.
    @TommyTrucker88 lives in your area; maybe he has some leads.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many times those long waits for unloading/loading aren't as bad as it looks. I've done 100's of them. Unless you're working for some flunky outfit, you get paid for that. I was always paid "stop pay" just for going there and "detention hourly pay" for the wait time. Trucking company websites usually show these pays and the amounts. They're listed under "driver benefits."
    Check Contract Freighters (www.cfidrive.com) for company paid cdl training and decent pays & benefits. This is a coast to coast dry van company.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Stevens Transport - runs west coast & has tankers in the oil fields.
    Stevens Driving Academy’s Pittsburgh location.
    Pittsburgh CDL Training Location
    1200 Lebanon Rd., Suite 101 | West Mifflin, PA 15122
    [​IMG][​IMG]

FFE (Frozen Food Express) - runs west coast & has tankers in the oil fields. Not sure where they send you to school.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Fuelinmyveins

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    What do you think about TMC transportation or Maverick? Hopefully @TommyTrucker88 will chime in

The school that I want to go for my CDL is Northampton community college. Apparently they help new drivers get a job after they get their license. Some drivers were employed by Mclane that offers reimbursment for the cost of CDL.

9. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Scratch Stevens off the list, anybody who suggests starting out with them needs to be disregarded. It is a shame anybody would bring them up. Drivers today should not start out less than 42cpm bare minimum.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  10. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Unless UPS changed their policy, I was told I'd have to work part time in the sweat shop loading freight before I could even bid on a driver position. I'm talking Buster Brown UPS, not the old overnight company/division or freight or whatever they call it.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Not everyone is a failure at Stevens. Not everyone is a success anywhere else either.
    42 cpm doesn't mean anything if the miles aren't there and the accessorial pays aren't there.

Coover Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.