Starting in the industry

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dublin, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Dublin

Dublin Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    hey all...

I've been researching this dream I've had of becoming a truck driver for 3 years now.
    I start school September 30th and will graduate December 3rd.
    My driving record is perfect, but I do have a non-conviction misdemeanor for assault that I'm working on sealing (is this a non-issue with most companies?)
    I have my bachelors degree and have been managing at my current company for 3 years and looking for a change.

I'm looking at going regional for FB only, partly because i have a wife and a new born at home (she's been super supportive, by the way).

I need help deciding on a starter company (1 year).
    My wishes are APU, weekends home, cheap benefits, and $900/week gross.

I've narrowed down my top picks to be:
    1) gypsum
    2) TMC
    3) Maverick

I'm also located in the North East (Mass).

Any good suggestions? Maybe there are local companies near me that would hire me out the gate that I'm not aware of?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    How about ABF?

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  4. Wingnut1

Wingnut1 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    The Mitten
    What on earth is a "non-conviction"? How old is it? If you are working to "get it sealed" then it sounds like a conviction to me....Most mega's just want a warm body in the seat holding the steering wheel so if you can stand somewhat upright and pass a whiz quiz without studying, you're probably in. APU? Maybe. Home weekends? Doubtful. Cheap bennies? Another maybe but doubtful. $900/wk? LoL...

Anyway, to be honest, I'd say you're setting a very lofty goal for being a rookie but hey, stranger things have happened I guess. Just start pounding on doors once you've finished school and go from there. Just be forewarned that if a recruiter's lips are moving, there's a very good chance that he or she is lying. I think most on here will tell you that for your first couple of years you won't be home very often. If you want to be a skate boarder, hit up your local building supply companies and the big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes; maybe you could be home every night.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try Eastern Freightways

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Don't know too much about OTR or Regional, so I'm not even gonna try to pretend I know anything about them. Not sure about how your conviction is gonna affect your opportunities either. But if you're looking for Local, try looking into LTL. Most LTL companies nowadays will either have a dock to driver program or have a training academy. YRC and ABF are known to hire new students and train them in their own academy. Both are Union jobs, so the benefits will be pretty good. ODFL and I think R+L are also known to hire new students. Fed Ex Freight and Estes are known to have a dock to driver program. Practically all the LTL Companies offer some type of training program. UPS Freight I don't think has any type of dock to driver program, but they do hire Full-time Dockworkers though and you may be able to get a Jockey Position since Dockworkers are the ones that Jockey, or possibly be hired and trained as a Combo dock/CDL driver. They're also Union and excellent benefits as well.

Beverage companies like Pepsi and Coke are known to hire new students. McLane and GFS Foodservice hire new students too. McLane offers a $6000 sign on bonus in some locations and they also have they're own training academy as well. But these jobs can be physically demanding though.

Waste Management is also known to hire new students. Some of them even recruit at schools. Even seen television commercials about them hiring new students. Not a glorious job, but they are Union though. Good pay and bennies.

If you don't mind driving a Delivery Van, UPS might be anouther option. Also a Union job with execllant benefits and they top out around $35 an hour. Plus you can be on a waiting list to be trained as Feeder Driver if you wanted to drive Tractor Trailers. Fed Ex Express also does the same thing as well. USPS Letter Carriers top out around $29 an hour currently and will be in the $30's since they just got they're new contract. Government job, so the benefits are excellent.

Or you can also try being a Route Sales Rep driving around a Bread Truck for companies like Frito Lay or Bimbo Bakeries. A lot of the bread companies are Union with excellent pay and bennies. I've known Bimbo Bakeries RSR drivers that made over $100k before and only worked 8 hours a day.

Tuga Trucker and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  7. Dublin

Dublin Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Great info, thank you! My goal was to do Food Service in a years time once I have some experience under my belt. Interesting to find out that McClane hires recent graduates. They are on the top of list, along with Sysco.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  8. Dublin

Dublin Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    I've researched a little about them. I'm curious to see if they actually pay what they advertise...

Thank you for the info!

9. Dublin

Dublin Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    I've looked into them for LTL. I believe you have to start as a dock hand.

10. Dublin

Dublin Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    I appreciate the info! Although my wishes may seem lofty, I believe that are attainable. As far as my "conviction", it's a CWOF, meaning that it was dismissed. It's shown on my CORI as being dismissed, just not sure if that has an affect on my future in the drivers seat.

Thanks for the great info!

11. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Well than....if Food Service was your main goal....ring ring :director: calling @Mike2633. Anything you need to know about Food Service, Mike can help you out. He's "da man".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.