Starting Journey with Schneider

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SouthernJohn, Oct 21, 2021.

1. jtc3495

jtc3495 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I just got back today from Orientation/CDL training in Indianapolis with Schneider. Overall I think it was a good experience. They definitely help pull my skills together. Still have a lot to learn, but the past couple weeks helped my confidence. I still need to do the week with a TE on the road, so can't say much about that part of training.

Good luck on your training.

gentleroger and Lonesome Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SouthernJohn

SouthernJohn Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2021
    How did you get to training? I'm going bus so I can leave my POV with my daughter. Do most people get sent home between training and getting on truck with TE?

Thanks
    John

4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    No. Most people go out with their trainer for 5-7 days and come back to the OC/motel and then finish out their last week and then get issued a truck.
    Good luck.
    Stay calm and you'll be fine.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    You will be sent from the OC to your trainer by rental car. After your week with your trainer you will either be sent to your tractor and then home or just home and then your dbl will arrange to get you to your truck.

Lonesome and SouthernJohn Thank this.
  6. SouthernJohn

Oct 21, 2021
    Time is getting close! Got confirmation on Greyhound ticket and Hotel in Charlotte. Taking Greyhound up Sunday, staying at a Comfort Suites and start CDL Training/Orientation Monday am. Will post updates as I have time.

John

Lonesome, Opus and John Joel Glanton Thank this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Have a good trip and a good time.
    Pay attention and be friendly and you'll be just right.

Very best of luck. I still remember when I rode the Grey Dog to meet my trainer.
    It left out of downtown Atlanta.
    Some things/images you never forget.

Have fun.

Lonesome and SouthernJohn Thank this.
  8. SouthernJohn

Oct 21, 2021
    Well, 1st day done. Lots of people in my class! Today was mostly paperwork and some computer based training.
    Hotel is nice (they have students in more than one) Greyhound was packed for the first half of the trip and then not bad for the 2nd half. Anybody else coming, I would recommend bringing your own car if possible - gives you easy mobility while not in class and don't have to wait on bus to and from training center and hotel. That's all for today - will check in tomorrow if time allows.

John

9. SouthernJohn

Oct 21, 2021
    Today - lots more stuff on the computer. Got tablets that do your HOS and loads (we got lucky and got brand new ones!)

John

10. Baron Von Jellybean

Baron Von Jellybean Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2021
    Good luck to you with your training at Schneider.
    They will get their investment in you back in the form of extremely low pay for your services. You’ll see for yourself exactly how low that pay really is as you gain experience with them; they really do ‘soak it’ to their drivers. In fact, Schneider is notorious for being one of the lowest paying companies for drivers.

Get your license, get a solid year of driving experience (provided you even are paid enough to cover any personal expenses) do what they say, and save any temptation to hurry for moving on to a different company as quickly as possible.

Since you mentioned that you’re in Charlotte, after you get about a year of experience, you might want to contact Gordon Foods, Sysco Foods, Sygma Foods (literally right around the corner from Schneider’s Charlotte training yard), Mclane Foods, or even Food Lion. These are all food delivery jobs that really will pay you $1700.00 - $2000.00 per five day work week, and get you home every night.

Sure beats the $450.00 -$800.00 weekly gross pay (if you’re lucky) that you’re about to make at Schneider for working seven days a week and living like an animal in a truck for weeks at a time. And that’s regardless of experience.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  11. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Congratulations on your new endeavor. I just finished the two weeks of inexperienced driver orientation with Schneider last week and am now at the end of my second day with my trainer. Bumped my first dock this morning. I’ll be done on Friday and ready to go solo.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.