Starting Journey with Schneider

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SouthernJohn, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah, and you will earn every bit of that money doing food service!

faux_maestro and gentleroger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baron Von Jellybean

Baron Von Jellybean Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2021
    No; the amount of work in foodservice is way over-rated.

I’m 60 years old, driving for Food Lion. I admit that I’m nothing special and still... I have absolutely no problems whatsoever doing this type of work. Seriously, anybody can do it. Driving OTR, sitting with no exercise for 12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week and being forced to eat only crappy, overpriced truck stop slop... all for maybe $800.00 bucks a week is definately what I’d call “earning it”.

You’ll have to take my word on this one but... last week I grossed over $2300.00 for one week; I did volunteer to work one extra day that week but still, not bad pay for 6 days. And I’m home every night as well as home for my two days off every week.

analoglogistics Thanks this.
  4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    To each his own!

I've done food service, cases of cabbage on a 2 wheeler going down narrow stairs to the basement of an old Chinese restaurant, having to move 7-8 cases in their cooler, to put the fresh stuff behind the older stuff.Busy kitchens, waiting for the manager, so he can sign the bill, because no one else will do it.Had my share, and I was 30 years younger at the time.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Food Lion is a grocery store I believe. Does that mean you're bumping a dock when you unload?

If so, that's a HUGE difference than what I typically think of as "food service". Bringing a two wheel gand cart down a ramp, then up a curb, through a door and down a flight of stairs is a lot more work than pallet jacking off onto a dock.

6. SouthernJohn

SouthernJohn Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2021
    Sorry to be slow about getting on here - Been a busy week, I'm enjoying the process. Got done with computer stuff and got in the truck for a little bit yesterday. Just basic stuff, started learning how to do a proper pre-trip. How to safely couple and un-couple. Drove around the OC yard for a bit and then got released for the weekend. Time to get rested up, study some Schneider processes to drive and get ready for a fun week of learning how to drive and back this little sleeper cab tractor and 53' trailer.

Thanks
    John

faux_maestro and Lonesome Thank this.
  7. Baron Von Jellybean

Baron Von Jellybean Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2021
    Yes, there is a HUGE difference between bumping a dock as opposed to wheeling a two wheeler down a ramp.... as in about 2500 lbs. After bumping a dock, we haul pallets of water regularly, with a manual jack, up an inclined 53 ‘trailer (going up, not down) ; not the perfect job for any unconditioned bodies out there. However, there’s been plenty of times I still miss working for US Foods hauling that two wheeler down a ramp, going upstairs and through long corridors. One’s just as difficult as the other; I’m almost 61 and I still can keep up with the young guys... that goes for both a two wheeler or hauling a manual jack and bumping docks; so can anybody else my age if they’ve taken somewhat good care of themselves over the years.

8. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Sooo any updates haven’t posted anything in a while how did it go? What are you up too?

analoglogistics and Boondock Thank this.
  9. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    Kind of interested myself. He went a couple of months after I graduated out of there myself. I am still with Schneider. With all do respect to Opus the pay is a little outdated for his numbers. Still not up to industry average, but not that far back. For me because I keep living expenses low anyway its enough to make large headway on debts and bills paid. The current dedicated account I am on, I am not behind the average by much, take home weekly is between $900 on a goofy week to $1100 on average. I am home weekly and Only run From NC to GA 5 nights a week. Even with offloading the account uses power jacks, so even that is easy mode.
    I hope this driver has gotten into as good a deal.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    analoglogistics, Boondock and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    I've been at Schneider almost 6 months now on a dedicated account. My actual position is part-time, but if I work a full 5-6 days, I gross about $1,200. Doesn't seem terrible for a rookie and is in-line with what I see people say they make starting off at other megas.

Boondock and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.