Starting my career with Schneider via TransTech.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1300RK6, Dec 3, 2021.

1. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    I've got a pair similar to these but Redwings and going on 5 yrs, they last forever with a little maintenance.

2Tap, 1300RK6 and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Sorry to revive an old post but why start a new one when still relevant?

I'm starting tankers Monday. Food grade. I'm curious as to why steel toed are required when hauling hazmat? I would think steel toe would more be a requirement for going into customer facilities and/or loading/unloading?

I've wore Redwings my whole working life and tried EVERY brand Farm&Fleet carried over the years and each was pretty dreadful in it's own way. Red Wings steelshank, locklug (for climbing/gaffing) and quality leather had me sold 4 pairs of loggers ago. I've had the leather turn green when i used to clean an old pair under boiler blowdown and that leather didn't fail. The leather they use is near impossible to penetrate, i stabbed myself on the inner ankle area plenty when gaffing. Comfortable to drive in, insulated but not to the point where you couldn't stand them in the summer time. The only time my feet ever got wet was when i stepped in an invisible koi pond covered in snow. Seems they leak in from the top if you go knee deep.:D

Recently purchased these for driving OTR before the tanker opportunity: SuperSole® 2.0 | RedWing
    I beat the crap out of them for 2 weeks helping to bury people and was worried i wasted $260 on a pair of work boots to beat up for around town. Took 'em to a car wash, dried thoroughly and hit them with some Kiwi Brown (redwing apparently doesn't sell brown shoe polish) and buffed them back to brand new. Always amazed at the quality of leather/thickness they use. The soles will wear out long before the leather and good luck finding a cobbler in 2023.

Sadly the boots i know don't do squat for farm mud, you need your pants inside the boot and sides high enough to keep you out of trouble. Red Wing has also always had an aggressive tread (hard to clear mud) which while great for sloppy traction a real pain to clean the tread.

Anyone have any thoughts on Muck Boots: Men's Tall Boots | The Original Muck Boot Company™ They sure don't look very flexible/fun to drive in.

That's the other thing about Red Wings. If the Army had broke my boots in for me the way Red Wing breaks their leather in, i may have re-enlisted....

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I didn't wear lace-up boots. Pull-on is better and easier to put on or remove. Those lace-ups can trap acid or other tanker products in the tongue, laces, and the holes the laces run through.

2Tap Thanks this.
  5. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Good point ChinaTown, i wasn't looking for lace ups this go around. Need my pants inside the boot. The tallest boot RW makes is an 11"
    Muck has several 15-18"
    Farewell my Red Wing work friend.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.