Starting new driving job the 29th. Going with Marten.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by LooneyTune, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Not a bad run for the weekend. Calgary down to Pocatello, Idaho for Monday. Canada was a breeze. Not sure why some hate it so much... except for Quebec. I don't care for that province either, due to the fact that they put everything in French

alex94, Dryver and JustSonny Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Those #### Frenchies have a different word for everything!:biggrin_25523:

P.S. I like your style Looney. I've been following your posts since you started with Marten. Good job!

4. slabrunner

slabrunner Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Muskegon, MI
    duddie, just a suggestion:
    Not a good practice to capitalize every word and letter in a post. It's like shouting and is considered RUDE by many internet readers and posters. Second thing is, you can put your point of view into writing but make it clear and concise and then get out, relax, it's not the end of the world if everybody doesn't immediately turn into a cheering squad for your argument. Fact is, most drivers aren't paid what they deserve in this economy and most of us are working on trying improve that situation. But it isn't going to be resolved by arguing and insulting one another.

alex94 and Dryver Thank this.
  5. SmokeMac

SmokeMac Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    $550 for 70 hours, you can have it. It is people like you that will work for nothing that brings done the industry

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2010
    duddie and Farrell 67 Thank this.
  6. 94nole

94nole Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2007
    JAX, FL
    I know that this was a few weeks ago, but I honestly almost fell out of my seat reading this hogwash. Poobah, please say it ain't so. You are comparing what has occurred in our lifetime to the millions of years of history of this earth? You need to fall down and hit your head again...the last time really has you messed up.

7. 94nole

94nole Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2007
    JAX, FL
    why don't you go do something else? who is making you drive?

8. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Duddie and any one else that agrees with him. I look at it this way, A job that brings in a steady pay check is 110% better then none at all. Maybe when you have done this for as long as I have (18yrs) you will learn two thing.

1: You are never going to get rich driving a truck. If you want a job where you get paid $1000+ after taxes and 401k, med/life, ect...ect.. then you need to find a different job. Cause you ain't going to get that driving a truck. I think what Marten gives you is pretty darn good. Try working at a fast food place or Wal-mart for $8, 40 hrs a week. 8x40= $320. Before tax's. That $550 is looking pretty good.

2: The fact is any one with more then 1 yr of driving knows there is a trade off between OTR and local. OTR makes a little more money but spends less time at home to do it. Local gives up some pay to be at home. But he works 12-14hrs 5 days a week to do it. BTW OTR often works 12-14 a day for day after day after day and doesn't get home for 14 or more days.

So you have a choice. Get home more often with a little less money or make a little more money and be at home less. Believe me, If they would let me do what you are doing out of the Birmingham area. I do it in a heart beat.

9. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Duddie, everybody is entitled to there opinion, but if you want to tell us how bad a trucking company is then that belongs on the bad trucking company board, not here on Looney's thread. Telling us to "GET REAL" or that we are "CRAZY" will only lesson our respect for what you write and your opinions. This is a thread detailing a drivers true experiences with Marten, I for one appreciate his efforts and enjoy keeping up with his comments and opinions. As Looney stated not everyone has the same experiences with the same company. If you are unhappy with miles - pay - conditions it does not mean that we all should be, every driver is different. If a driver is happy with 35c per mile and driving 8000 miles a month, good for him, it doesn't mean he is wrong. So, i think we all agree that we disagree with you, your point is made, now if you want to continue slamming Marten there are threads to do that on, not this one.

10. LooneyTune

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Well, I'm back to update the thread. I appreciate all the good points that have been made on here about the guys coming on and screaming bloody murder that Marten sucks... please go post your awful experiences on the bad company thread. This is not directed at the people who have come to this thread to see how I am doing and my experiences so far... but for those of you who came on here to hijack the thread to call us all idiots or talk about global warming(which is a crock)... do us all a favor and go away. I for one am not happy to see the turn this thread took for a while.

JustSonny, crc32, Hitman and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. LooneyTune

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    And I've loaded frozen french fries out of Twin Falls going to Ontario by the way... California that is. I wish it was Canada! That would be some miles!!!! LOL

alex94 and JustSonny Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.