Starting out for rookies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Gregor65

Gregor65 Light Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Sioux Falls SD
    I paid for my own CDL trainig and have no experience but CDL with 2 yr med card. No background issues whatsoever. Retired homebuilder. Got hired by a local reefer company- 90 co drivers 70 O/O. 350.00 while with their trainer then .34 to start. New Kenworth 660 average sleeper. My refrig microwave TV. 14-16 days out, 3000 miles/week avg. home 3-5 days. Terminal 15 minutes from my home. I think it's a good deal. Thoughts?
    Gregor65

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aburns5

aburns5 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Thank you very much for the information. Having recently gotten into the industry, advice and suggestions like these are always great.

4. leadfoot2012

leadfoot2012 Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Arlee, Mt
    Thanks thats good advice. I just recently got hired as a trainie driving a belly dump!:biggrin_25519:

5. gate_keeper

gate_keeper Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Go frame less 39 foot Travis is what I pull belly dumps can be run by a monkey who is high lol but long wagons are more fun

6. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
  7. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    My thoughts?
    Hmmmmmm -------

OK, if I were you I'd do two things,
    1. Run away from that deal.
    :Courier:
    2. E-mail the name and address of said company to me.
    :smt024
    I wouldn't pass up a gig like that.
    :biggrin_25512:

8. pan

pan Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2011
    hoffman, illinois
    i started out in calif. hauling for an old trucker (Joe George trucking out of Modesto, hauling double bottom dumps and double flats with grain peaches and what ever following the seasons. made dam good money too. i learned in the u.s.m.c. to drive commercial tractor trailer and when i got out had no civilian expirience so was hard to get on with anyone. that was around 1974.

9. Huricaneinyourway!

Huricaneinyourway! Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2012
    What's a good job for someone who has 6 months over the road experience trying to work local? My wife is really needing my help with the 2 year old. I need some advice...

10. Roadstartwin

Roadstartwin Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Lubbock, Texas
    I need some advise... Me and the wife are tossing around the thought of buying a 1ton dulley and a flatbed and haul LTL, cars or whatever. or buying a 3-4 car hauler and use same truck, or use same truck and haul RV's. my question is, can you make a good living doing either one of the 3 in todays age/economy?

Thanks

11. hankekeane11

hankekeane11 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Is it worth the $6.000 for me to schlep 3 hours north to take the Orlando, FL Roadmaster CDL training school? I chose it through the CVTA. CVTA rates it one of the top 3 in the country. Does that matter? Would I be paid more because I am a "Roadmaster" graduate? Should I just attend an accredited CDL training school in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area for pennies compared to Roadmaster.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.