Starting out for rookies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Jan 18, 2007.

1. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Howdy Trucker-T.
    Welcome to the forums.

After reading your post, I'm thinkin' that a 5 week driving course is a tad too short. As you've already indicated, there's a LOT to learn and remember, and you've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

If I were you, I'd give some serious thought to team driving for a year or two before thinkin' about going solo. Two heads may be better than one and you can help each other during your learning process.
    If shifting seems to be a problem, there are companies that have auto-shift transmissions which might help you divert your attention to other things as you learn the ropes.
    If logging is a weak point, Werner has paperless logs which, again, might allow you to concentrate more on getting used to driving a Big truck.
    But I wouldn't recommend flat bed at this point.
    Learning how to secure flat bed loads would just be more to learn right out of school on top of everything else.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker-T

Trucker-T Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Aftershock, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, I was under the assumption that when you drive teams your never really up together because when one guy drives the other person sleeps, and vice versa.

anyhow please keep it coming theres no such thing as too much information.

4. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    You're very welcome Trucker-T.
    YuP!
    Your assumption is pretty much correct, but there are exceptions.
    As I'm sure you've heard, there is no "I" in team. By that I mean you'd both be there to support each other, even if that means getting out of the bunk to assist the driver on duty --- be that to help back in to a tight dock or finding an address or an alternate route if the planned route proves to be incorrect. You cover each other's back.

And depending on how you both decide to run as a team, one of you might want to remain in the jump seat to see the scenery before going to sleep, and/or to assist the co-driver during a difficult time, bad weather, for instance. Four eyes during those times are better than two eyes. And, quite frankly, when I ran team I'd rather be awake and helping than to be asleep while my co-driver is sweating bullets.

You got THAT right! :yes2557:
    And, IMO, you've come to the right place to be asking questions and seeking advice.

My intentions aren't to scare you, but the REAL learnin' comes AFTER you get out of drivin' school. There's MUCH more to Big truck truckin' than just holding a steering wheel.

To make it a tad easier on yourself, I'd recommend pulling a dry van or refer trailer. I've known newBees who think flatbedding is the way to go for those who aren't real good at backing. I don't agree.
    I think a GOOD driver knows how to git 'er done no matter what they're driving or pulling. That takes experience and experience takes time and dedication.

Once you've aquired the skills such as logging, trip planning, time management, finding addresses, inclement weather driving, and backing, then consider moving on up to flatbedding or tanker. Don't make the mistake that fewer skills are required in either of those two.
    Believe me, when you have to tarp a load in heavy winds while 13 feet off the ground, you'll understand why I'm tellin' you this. It ain't easy. And if you don't get the tarps on correctly, they'll be flappin' in the wind as you're driving, and probably tearing the tarps up.
    And try chaining a load down in sub-zero weather, and have a binder pop, or chain link snap.
    OucH!

Hang on though.
    I'm thinkin' others will chime in with other helpful suggestions for you to ponder.

Good luck and best of success.

zotoa and SunSide Thank this.
  5. CottonEyedJoe

CottonEyedJoe Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Astoria IL
    My husband graduated in July and drove a tandem dump for about a month. He got his Hazmat and Tanker and now he just got hired by another outfit yesterday and is being sent to pick up in Iowa and drop in Louisiana on Monday. No trainer, no orientation, no NUTHIN'! We went today to get him a few things for his cab, but like it has been said, who knows if half what we bought is going to be useful in a month. He is very concerned (though trying not to show it) about logs, trip planning etc. I am trying to do my part in helping him find the best routes and fuel stops before he leaves. Thought this was an answer to our prayers but now beginning to wonder if it is a nightmare waiting to happen. :help:

6. bossman211

bossman211 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2008
    lakeland fl.
    I've been driving "B" trucks for over 15 years now but want to drive "A". I don't have a wife or significant other and my kids are grown. I sold my house back in sept. and not sure just were I want to live. I'm in Fl. but would like to go OTR so I can check out the other states. Problem is no companies are hiring from Fl. I tell them my "down time" can be anywhere but that doesn't seem to matter much. What's a fella to do?

7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Got a family member in another state you could 'move' in with?

8. caloosacracker

caloosacracker Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2009
    fort myers, florida
    Is it as easy to get trained/hired after Getting my CDL through a community college program as opposed to Roadmaster or TDI? I dont want to get tricked into a bait and switch (like others have from what i've heard). Do good companies prefer one or the other? Anyone have advice? thanks.

9. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    In the past, I don't think it mattered all that much. And probably doesn't matter all that much today which road to a CDL-A you take.

The challenge now-a-daze is finding ANY truckin' company hiring newBees already in possession of their CDL-A.

The large training companies, I think, prefer to profit from their 'training' programs though.
    . Advice?
    YuP!

If you live in Florida, be aware that Florida is probably the worst state to be a Big truck truck driver in. Not much freight comes out of Florida.

Although, you'll probably have ample hometime waiting for a load out of that State. Or, you could be stuck in Florida, miles from the home-20 ---- sitting and wishin' you were close enough to home to go there, but the company won't deadhead you there.

Remember, if the wheels ain't turnin'
    Y'all ain't earnin'.
    And y'all might not be able to afford ANY time
    at home.

10. CryptKeeper

CryptKeeper Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Denver,CO
    Job Description

The Biggest Mistake You Can Make...Is To Underestimate
    The biggest mistake people make when starting a trucking career is underestimating what truck driving involves. Trucking isn't exactly rocket science, but there is still much, much more to it than most people realize.​
    While it may sound strange, driving the truck is only a small part of the job.​
    So what does it take? ​
    Here are some of the "musts" that have nothing at all to do with actually driving the truck.​
    8​
    Route Planning, Map Reading, Trip Planning...Must be able to find most practical and time efficient route while avoiding truck restricted routes. Must be able to find new places in new cities on a nearly daily basis. Must know how to avoid dangerous situations such as low underpasses or impassable routes. Must read road signs - and fully understand the routing/sign system in order to avoid getting lost, wasting time and fuel and other potentially dangerous situations (i.e. low underpasses). Must know how to plan trip's fuel stops according to company policy.

8 Money Management...In order to make a good wage, a driver must learn good money management skills. A driver must also plan ahead for job related expenses, such as tolls, unloading fees, truck and/or trailer washes, etc. He or she must keep good track of expenses for purposes of taxes and to ensure proper reimbursement for company expenses.

8 Time Management...A driver must be able to accurately plan a trip to squeeze the most out of the time allowed. Without good time management, a driver will be late for pickups/deliveries and this may lead to job loss. Less severe but just as important, poor time management leads to unnecessary fatigue. A driver must learn the best routes to take, the best times of day for travel in certain areas and the nature of the terrain and how these factors affect travel time. ​
    8 Paperwork...A driver is responsible for completing paperwork for each load hauled, as well as paperwork required for Hours of Service. Not completing this paperwork properly or on time may result in a paycheck being withheld or in the case of HOS, a hefty fine. ​

8 Diplomat...Must deal with dispatchers, safety department, other motorists, truck stop employees, shippers, receivers, law enforcement personnel, including highway patrol, local and city police and DOT officers as a professional. ​

8 Loading & Unloading... While many carriers pay for loading and unloading when required, others do not or at times, a receiver will not allow a driver to hire this work out. In such a case, the driver must be able to load or unload the freight.​

8 Knowledge of Rules & Regs...A driver must know the rules and regulations that govern him. Ignorance of the law will not excuse a driver or get him out of an expensive fine. A driver must know, at minimum, rules that pertain to Hours of Service, FedReg and equipment related requirements. A driver must know how to load the freight in order to comply with weight limitations and how to adjust weight (between axles) in order to bring an overweight load into compliance. ​

8 Patience...A driver spends an unbelievable amount of time waiting on others. This may be at a dock or sitting in a traffic jam. Patience is an absolute prerequisite. Other vehicles will do obnoxious, irritating and dangerous things around you all day, every day. You get "cut off" numerous times every single driving day. People constantly pull directly out in front of big trucks, with no thought for their safety -- or yours. Many drive selfishly - others drive foolishly - and others have no idea that they are causing a problem. It doesn't matter, really, because the important thing is that you must learn to deal with these things on a daily basis and not to become angry every time because in the end, it only distracts from the job you need to be able to do. A truck driver is not immune to road rage - but he or she must learn how to deal with and control him/herself when dealing with other motorists. ​

8 Ability to Adapt...A driver must be able to adapt quickly according to the environment and the demands of the job. One day you may deliver a load at 8:00 AM but the next unloading appointment may be at 1:00 AM. Work hours are never the same. Along with work hours, eating hours and sleeping hours are rarely the same, either. They must constantly change according to the load. Beyond these issues, other factors are quick to change, also. One day a driver will be in the mountains and the next, in the desert. The weather changes can be dramatic, too.​

8 Personal Safety...Must understand dangers of life on the road.​

8 Mental Strength / Fortitude... A driver must often work when tired or very stressed. A driver is not "off" at 5:00 PM, and may actually just be starting his/her workday. Traffic, paperwork, law enforcement, dispatchers, etc can all contribute to a high stress level. While many people work when stressed, it is especially important that a driver learns to deal with stress factors because of the nature of the job - in other words, a big truck has great potential to cause massive injury. A distracted driver is not a safe one. Add to this the added worry about loved ones back home, homesickness, etc, and stress becomes a major factor.​

After all of these skills, you have to know how to drive the truck.
    The "musts" that have something to do with driving the truck.
    Of course, a driver must be capable of safe operation of the vehicle - often nearly 70 foot of vehicle with a pivot point - in all situations and places. ​
    8 City Traffic: Streets lined with cars on both sides with lanes so skinny in places that clearance is a matter of inches on either side. The driver must also be able to turn the vehicle into places not intended for 70 foot vehicles - meaning some creative and well thought out maneuvering is required. Cars will not usually understand what you are trying to do and will often honk, yell and go to extremes to go around you. Heavy traffic and congested freeways are par for the course. ​

8 Backing: While some places will provide sufficient space, a great many warehouses provide only ample space - if that. A driver must be able to dock the trailer where the shipper/receiver wants it. It may take 5 minutes or it may take 45 minutes, but in order to load or unload, you will not have a choice​
    . In the city, you may have to stop traffic from either or both directions. You may have to jackknife into a dock. You may have to back down an alley. You may have to back in blind. Anything goes. No matter how bad or how tight the dock is, if you hit anything, it is 100% your fault. You may have to get out of the truck 100 times, you may have to stop 100 cars, but one way or another, you will have to get the trailer in the dock.

8 Mountains: Mountains present an extra challenge. A driver must be able to properly gauge at what speed and in which gear it is best to descend. ​
    He or she must understand how the weight of the load affects this decision. He or she must also make allowances when the weather and/or visibility is poor. The driver's carrier may expect the driver to put tire chains on when conditions warrant.

8 Bad Weather: Bad weather driving comes in many forms. A driver must learn to adjust to everything Mother Nature might throw at him, such as: Thunderstorms, Hail Storms, Tornadoes, Sand Storms, Snow, Ice, Sleet, Freezing Rain, Temperature Extremes, Fog.​

These are just the things that I can think of this moment. I'm sure I can (and will) come up with more to go on this list. My question to you is,

"Is this what you thought it was?"

11. high roller

high roller Bobtail Member

May 15, 2008
    cleveland, Ohio
    i just left an otr company after 3 mths and struggling to find a local job. I just had my first child and was planning to go back but I thought that i would try to find a local gig its just not working out im from cleveland ohio ne 1 have some suggestions 4 a 3mth exp trucker.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.