Starting out for rookies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Azeron

Azeron Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2010
    On A Truck, U.S.A.

I co-sign. Seriously, What the...???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Spirish

Spirish Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Everyone is talking about going through training.
    My husband works full time and has a family to support so going to school for training with no income was really not an option.
    My husband studied for his permit, passed and took the test on his own and now has his CDL. How much importance do employers put on school training?

4. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Makes a huge difference. Many trucking companies will consider only certain "accredited" schools. Many want to get you into their own school to generate another revenue stream and to get you under contract for a year at least.

5. leonatruck

leonatruck Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2010
    What day is it?...JAX, FL
    i am a female driver and i've had SEVERAL knock on my door! my friend, IN JESSUP about 20 years ago was approached by one...she asked: are u lonely, he said no. She said want some company? he said no...She said i'm cold, he said he's not - he has heat and hot coffee. she just stood there, so he said to her "for $20 you can come in out of the cold...for $50 i'll even give you some coffee"....she swore at him and went on her way! LOL

6. deannashort

deannashort Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Mooresboro, NC
    heres' what you do let your wife answer the door in the middle of the night when the lot lizards coming a knocking on door. lol well it used to work now they proposition her lol

7. Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Middle of the Desert
    I am currently in school. I am shifting careers since I cannot find a job doing what I normally do. I have always liked trucks and wanted to drive one so I figured "why not?"

The money for school was a gift and the time to go to school I had so it is not a big encounter so to speak.

I am 46.

Never had a ticket.
    Never had an accident.
    I do not drink, smoke, toke, do drugs or lick poison dart frogs.
    Never been in trouble with the law.
    I have 18 years of verifyable employment.
    I smell good most of the time.

I talked to CR England and told them to go suck a duck's butt. If I wanted to Lease a truck I would go to a bank and get-r-dun right and proper.
    I talked to Prime and they wanted to sell me a truck. I do not know if I even like this career choice. I might not enjoy seeing the countrysides, meeting new people and singing in church at 4 am (go back to page 1)
    I talked to Stevens and they want me to hand deliver stuff cause I dont get a truck for 26 weeks with them. Here is a duck's butt. Suck it.
    I talked to Schneider and they said "We love you" and I though that was nice.
    I meet with Werner on the 12th but they are starting from far away as I do not like them much.
    I am looking for a smaller company in hopes that I can get a decent trainer and get out on the road right away.
    CRST says they'll take me when I graduate but they want to pay me $.22 a mile to start out and I'm ready to hand them a duck.

I want to get out there and get going. Maybe even as a co-driver, which is fine I'm fun to talk to, and learn the real-life portion as the truck makes money. That's cool.

Has anyone found a decent company that isn't out to get you somehow and just let you do what you signed up for which is haul stuff all over without the pressure to buy a truck or drink some kool-aid or marry their cousin ?

Is there one decent company out there and if there is will you let them know I'm looking for them?

Everett Thanks this.
  8. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Welcome! There are lots of good companies out there. Start combing the web! Keep in mind there are a lot of different opinions on this site. Also look at the companies that aren't doing as much advertising. This means less driver turnover rate, which in turn maybe because their drivers are happier. Start to think about what it maybe like to actually live in a truck for a month at a time. The lifestyle is probably going to be your biggest hurdle. If you are a hard worker and know how to properly handle a job, you shouldn't have trouble making money. Good luck.

9. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    :biggrin_2556: Just go too gary, ind and at that old k mart at the end of the road by the ta there, i used too go that route then turn east, bypassing the toll road, i wacthed many a night there , wacthing the cops doing a cercial runaround all 26-56 trucks with there lights on and sirens going , lot lizaerds running like wild rats and if lucky might cacth one, hey what can i say i like cheap free enterment and if i get lucky i get too wacth a show truck peterbuilt 379 flatbed lose his load and all towed away, here in des moines onb south 14th by the hy -vee i wacth a truck get towed away too for the same reason, when will drivers wake up this not a crack and meth opertion and lots lizards, plus there loads are gone and there outa work , sorta, there working for the state now now cleaning totilts and they bended over they get a new girlfreind , o gess what a life he choose for himself. p.s. this how i delt with them banging on my door, i was at my brother who is a welder by trade, had couple of pipes laying around about 2 foot, got to me thinking , since i cant have firearms in the truck , hum what too do , so he welded both pipes together too look a 12 gauge shotgun, nice, i dont belive in guns myself , but this was neet , just two pipes welded togther,tryed it out one night i just getting some decent sleep and she banging on my door ,now i was mad , so i hopped up and there she was , rolled down the right window, told her hang on a sec , light a cherry bom threw it out the window right pouint my pipes out the left and that that cherry bom went off at same time, she fell down tripped and got up and thoufght i shot her she was feeling herself up , said she be right back i said okay i be here ,went got her big black bubba and freinds gonna beat me up for shooting at his girlfreind , just then a cop comes around the corner told cop thisa truckdriver shooting everyboby, ask is this true , i said nope , i dont have a gun, boy that bubba got mad, hes a lier he shot my girlfriend , i jump out truck told cop go for it if you can find a gun in there ill buy u coffee for life came back out no gun and told bubba , hes has no gun in that truck and told him and his buddys to move on, everyboby left , i started too laugh so hard till my belly hurt, what a night.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  10. jml2007

jml2007 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2009
    AZ Desert
    Check out May Trucking, there training program is up to you, if you can drive and catch on quick you could be on the road in less than a week. There Western 11 runs up and down I - 5 alot so you will be close to home if that is important to you. They have 5 or 6 drop yards in Calif., and I think one terminal. good luck.

11. Ranger70

Ranger70 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Joliet Il
    Cage stay away from England. I am a recent grad from Joliet Il. my school would not let them in the door. Hope this helps:biggrin_25515:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.