Starting out for rookies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ArizonaDriver

ArizonaDriver Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks everyone for all the great stories. I guess I will just have to watch my back.

I figure since I will be a solo driver...at least that is my plan...I won't have to worry too much about getting a load of the High Value type.

Still, it is good information to have.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    That is not completely true..............solo drivers still do get high value loads however, the blame is slightly lessened by the need for the driver having to leave the truck unattended. Little less responsible but still are,
    get it.....................:biggrin_25518:

4. Obscene Jester

Obscene Jester Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Jax, FL.
    Hello guys (and gals:biggrin_25525:),

Great stories and very informative. Hopefully, I'll be driving soon, as I am to begin trucking school next week....(Okay, let the jokes roll....c'mon give em to me. I can take it:biggrin_25523:)

Anyhow, my father has ran solo for 20+ years and never had a problem until a few months back. He was hauling a load of cigarettes and stopped around Orangeburg, SC. at an approved truck stop only 20 minutes after picking up the load. He fueled up and went to grab a bite to eat. Low and behold he returned to find trk/tlr gone.

He immediately called the company and was greeted by a cop about 10 minutes later. After questioning for about an hour they located the truck on the side of the highway about 8 miles away but the trailer was gone. The Q/C unit had been disabled in the truck but the load was supposed to have a GPS tracker (lowjacked) in it somewhere. They never found the trailer. Cargo was valued at 2 million.

It was a weird situation for him. He was interrogated by ATF and law enforcement like he had something to do with it. Believe me, we both felt, and still feel, that this was an inside job but they continued to look at my Dad like he had done something wrong....

The truck having no signs of break in, the truck having obviously been started by key, Q/C being disabled and the lowjacked trailer having obviously been disabled, I can't see how this couldn't have been an inside job.

Long and short of the story is, the Q/C later showed that the truck had been restarted only 4 minutes after my dad shut down and enetered the Truck Stop. No further data was recorded...

Dad was made to stay at a hotel for three days and questioned multiple times during his stay. The company later sent him home and said they would get back with him about what to do next. He sat at home for 2 weeks not making any money, with no word from the company, and finally called them and quit. The next day he had a job with a better company and began rolling about two days later. I don't think it was ever placed on his DAC but not sure...

It actually worked out better for him in the long run but this was still a very crappy thing for the company to do to a hard running, loyal, employee.

And believe me, he had nothing to do with it!! This is a man with lots of driving exp hauling loads worth alot more than 2 mil...

Just my lil' horror story. I hope it never happens to me..... I am worried about the "hijacking at gunpoint" thing though.... Screw it! They can have the whole rig, it's not worth my life.

Does this happen alot? Drivers killed for no reason? What a shame.

BE SAFE!

5. pappygrayowl

pappygrayowl Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Oakham, MA
    My advice concerning lot lizards........wait till you get home to the wife/girlfriend. Its just not worth the risk. If you can't wait, there's always "self-satisfaction".

6. pappygrayowl

pappygrayowl Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Oakham, MA
    I don't think I like the idea of sharing the road with someone who was irresponsible enough to have had a DUI a year ago, especially if they are driving a rig. Sure would like to know the name of that company so I can give them plenty of room on the road.

7. meat999

meat999 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Det, MI
    This is so true-- I just got my cdl, and at the truck driving school they tell you they will get you a job before your out of there. I filled out at least 25 apps. and nobody would hire me because I had a drug felony, and that was in 1992-16 yrs ago. thankfully covanent and c.r. england gave me a chance-- and the things i heard about cr england was so bad i was ready to give up!! I am going with covanent even though I hear bad things about them also-- I just have not heard the horror stories about them as i did with cr england. So Im stuck also-- I just got to get my feet wet and maybe the doors will open up with a good company. I still dont like the fact that I have to ride with someone for 6 months at covanent

8. meat999

Jul 20, 2008
    Det, MI
    most of the companies that turned me down said it was because of their insurance companies policy not to hire a felon

9. meat999

Jul 20, 2008
    Det, MI
    I have heard about that and wonder the same thing-- they say that happens alot in
    nyc, and in mexico

10. supertruckerwannabe

supertruckerwannabe Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    They don't bother me there just trying to come up with there crack money.
    Give them a break, it's not easy being a crack head, just ask a covenant driver....lol

11. supertruckerwannabe

supertruckerwannabe Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    A girl scout armed with a toothpick can take my load its not worth it to me either.....

truckerdaddy24 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.