Starting out for rookies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Jun 29, 2007.

1. drlivingston

drlivingston Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Trussville, AL
    Training is a headache with Covenant. 6 mos for "phase 2" training is stupid (oh, don't forget about the two months you have to complete in "phase 1"). Not to mention the 18 cents per mile while you doing it. Covenant scares me. I drive by their terminal in Chattanooga 10 times a week and it is always FULL of seemingly unassigned bobtail tractors. Are they having that hard of a time putting drivers in the cabs?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roadiez

roadiez Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Evansville, In
    If you want an even Cheesier company to start out with
    CRST(Cedar Rapids Super Turtles). My Brother-in-Law went with them for school& such. Had to compplete a 8month contract(not too bad with from others I've heard even more).
    But the thing is he is a NON-Smoker. but continauassly put him with smokers.
    pay was very low 11cents a mile for 3-4 months, got up to I think 17cents at the end of the 8 months not good at all(But was teaming also. which was why it was low for starters.
    Now he is with Knight Trans...Ohh boy are they shafting him big time..I wont go with anyone who doesn't pay atleast 36 or so. So guys put in your time with the "Slum Lords" of the trucking industry & hope oyu find a smaller company to go with... Say a local & such. Hope they don't sell out with the Big1's here.
    I have heard of companies paying 40,41,42 cpm(cents Per Mile) but I have heard nightmares about them also. I would rather run for a few cpm less & get killer miles than make the 42cpm & only get 1500 mile per week. I am here to move & thats about it. I know this will open a whole can of worms. But average "CPM" is 33 to 37 on average.
    Screw the idling restrictions, the mileage bonus, & the MPG... I want the miles, the layover pay to be right & if it breaksdown I had better not be in the garage upstairs waiting for it.. Put me in the hotel, with pay I can live with...It's your truck. It broke down on me. You pay me for the B.S. you are putting me thru.

truckerdaddy24 Thanks this.
  4. jadeshadowhunter

jadeshadowhunter Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Ardmore, AL
    :biggrin_25525:nothing is worth losing your life not even a rigg trust me on this...we had a load of cigs. going to Co. everytime you stopped for a bathroom break you had to get security to let them know what the heck you were doing this is alittle nerve wrecking.......Having to watch the vech. following at all times....Lord is my witness I thought I wasn't ever getting out from under that dern load.HAHAHAHAAH

5. jadeshadowhunter

Aug 4, 2008
    Ardmore, AL
    Well lets get started they can't keep anyone just left them awhile back when I went on home time...The other team member decided he wanted to go solo....The dispatcher didn't have the nerve to even tell me this ...He was suppose to pick me up on Sunday here it is 4 weeks later and He never picked me up...........I found another company better miles and better pay while I was suppose to be waiting..........Hope they can lie enough to get them some more people....They get $10,000 for every driver they hire whither they keep them or not.......so they will keep hiring and running everyone away.....

6. jadeshadowhunter

Aug 4, 2008
    Ardmore, AL
  7. Florida Floyd

Florida Floyd Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Pinellas Park, FL
    If neither of those is possible, you could also talk to rigging and crane companies. You would be hauling parts for the cranes to be set up at the job sites, and sometimes even the objects to be lifted by the cranes.

It would seem to me that haulin' the crane to the job, then jumping on it to operate it would be the cat's butt.

Florida Floyd->>>

8. Florida Floyd

Florida Floyd Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Pinellas Park, FL
    If neither of those is possible, you could also talk to rigging and crane companies. You would be hauling parts for the cranes to be set up at the job sites, and sometimes even the objects to be lifted by the cranes.

It would seem to me that haulin' the crane to the job, then jumping on it to operate it would be the cat's butt.

Florida Floyd->>>[/quote]

9. bigdaddy04

bigdaddy04 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2008
    WAYCROSS, GA
    My husband has had the same problems being a rookie. He's only been driving for 9 months and hes not happy with the company he's working for. Can't seem to find anyone to hire him because he doesnt have the otr experience

10. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Good ideas, but here in Phx area, they pretty much want a min. 1 year and up to 3 years of experience. Probably because there are quite a few out of work drivers here... I see drivers looking for jobs and advertising themselves on CraigsList. That sucks... Phx is a bad bad job market now.

11. chaser1

chaser1 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2008
    detroit,michigan
    Durining the recent weather events of Ike, are the driver's rerouted to avoid the dangerous weather events or do the cancel shipping until the severe weather threat is eliminated ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.