Starting out for rookies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MACK E-6, Jun 29, 2007.

1. wooduster

wooduster Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Rosemount, MN
    I hear ya on the economy, there are a bunch of people with their heads in the sand on that one.

I went this way mostly to get a Gov job, those are getting few and far between as well. I guess if I have to I'll go the school route.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mannmk7

mannmk7 Medium Load Member

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    Allow me to toss out a thought. If you need to get into driving you need to act asap. A school will cost you money and time. Get with a big box now or it may be to late after school.

If you go with a big box you'll be able to get in right away. You will be able to show them your stuff allowing them to recognize what you have to offer them. So if the market really takes a bigger dump you will be in place. If you wait they won't have chance to see you because they won't be hiring.

There is talk that big guys are slowing down too, EI. Swift and Schneider. Sni is showing their slow down by taking on students who will drive "team only". This isn't everywhere but it seems to be spreading. I detected this about 2 mos. ago when I spoke to a recuriter. I started a thread call " Schneider won't accept AZ students, got any ideas". I asked them if they would take me on if I lived in Riverside. They said yes if I would agree to drive team. :biggrin_25521:

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
    wooduster Thanks this.
  4. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    What made you decied to go with Swift over Schneider? :biggrin_25526:

5. MAJIK Lady

MAJIK Lady Light Load Member

May 30, 2008
    Cleveland, Ohio

I was going to go with TMC...but you pay for your bus ride there and the sitting fee, being umemployed made it impossible.

6. abhinindra singh

abhinindra singh Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2008
    piscataway, nj
    hey i m a recent cdl A grad but i after 6 weeks have been unable to land a job . the reason is that my D license in USA is not yet 1 year old, since i migrated to USA in 2007. also i do not have much work experience to show here and the trucking companies do not care muc for other country license or experience. i desperately need some experience as a second seat trainee team member. i am in NJ. please help me?guidance or anything please...

7. Snowman&Fred

Snowman&Fred Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Swift actually called me back. I haven't heard jack yet from Schneider.

And now, I am going to call WERNER this morning. Might be easier for me to school there, that is if they even DO school. anybody know if they train?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  8. JOHNNYBRAVO

JOHNNYBRAVO Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2005
    phoenix,AZ
    You might be able to hire on with one of those food distribution companies. You have to unload their trucks, but if you've been working concrete, you should be in good enough shape to handle it cuzz that work is hard ( food delivery ). I worked for Shamrock Foods for a year. The work is Physical but the pay is good. Those places always seem to be hiring. You also have a lot of beverage distributorships who don't pay as well but don't work you as hard. Good Luck.

9. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Call 'em again. And again. etc.

Teach or train? I don't think Werner has a school (any who know better, speak up), though they may reimburse you for your school costs.

As I've said innumerable other places, if at all possible, do NOT go to a carrier school. Go to an independent PTDI certified school.

If you can't.. everything I've read says Schneider is the way to go

10. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    And again and again.............oh said that already.......:biggrin_25522:

11. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    Wooduster what have you decieded to do? :biggrin_25520:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.