Starting out for rookies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MACK E-6, Jun 29, 2007.

1. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    I think Unemployment will pay for retraining..........talk to employment case worker............

It was offered to me when I was unemployed a while back

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mannmk7

mannmk7 Medium Load Member

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    I believe I read SNI pays for your transportation, your room, and food. Have you looked into SNI? :biggrin_25526:

4. MAJIK Lady

MAJIK Lady Light Load Member

May 30, 2008
    Cleveland, Ohio

I start July 16th...they pay for the bus ride both ways, room and board.

5. MAJIK Lady

MAJIK Lady Light Load Member

May 30, 2008
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Read through the book. I seems like a lot of info to study, but it isn't that big of a deal to go through it. If you have a problem with the book at first come back here and I'll give you some pointers to get through it easier. DON'T LET THE SIZE AND VOL OF INFO BOTHER YOU!

Hope this helped. :yes2557:[/quote]

I actually thought about going to the DMV so i could already have my CDL permit, i passed the practice test on basic knowledge and skills, but air brakes get me each time i tried the practice test...glad its the practice test not the real thing.

6. Snowman&Fred

Snowman&Fred Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    well i will be calling back TMC tomorrow to double check to see if it is a CDL license or permit. though the lady said i should go to a local community college here and go thru their class...so i am guessing an actual license.

7. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    Would you mind telling this forum what you are doing now with the feedback you have been offered?

Thanks.

8. wooduster

wooduster Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Rosemount, MN
    Hi all

I did things different, and wonder if I can get a job without going through a school ?

I studied for and passed the CDL permit tests, easy stuff actualy. Then I found a local Company that specialized in getting you a License. So I went and passed the driving test with 1 hour of practice, with a automatic transmision tractor/trailer combo. So now I am officialy a Class A CDL driver by State rules at least. I get it that there is much more to learn, but I wonder if I can get that on the job rather than paying a school. I have done a bunch of Straight truck driving, so I have some feel for this. I'm not dumb enough to think I can just go out and drive anything. But I have a feeling there is a way to do this. Any suggestions ?

9. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    Your CDL with an automatic may limit you.

Companies are looking for people who went through training; a CDL training PROGRAM. Then they, companies, have training through companies with a driver trainer.

Those who have studied for the CDL permit know it's easy. One good thing for you is that some big outfits require that you have your permit.

You will probably have little luck if any getting a decent job with what you have.

If you don't want to pay for a CDL school $4k then go with a company that train's.

Don't wait, the economy is slowing fairly fast. Once the gen. population understands how bad things are they will really cut back, causeing the econ to get even worse.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  10. Snowman&Fred

Snowman&Fred Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Well, I just emailed the recruiter at Swift. Everything comes back okay. Just need to fax in the drug history results form from past employers, etc. The guy is on vacation, so start of next week I will know something more then. MCT was to have sent me a packet in the mail. Hope to get it tomorrow. Unless something comes up, I will start class at either Swift or MCT the 20th or 21st, respectively.

11. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    Good. You got on it.

Hope it all goes well.

Thanks for letting us know whats go'n on. :biggrin_25517:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.