Starting out, what all do I need to be legal in Texas?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Andrew Woods, Aug 8, 2018.

  1. Andrew Woods

    Andrew Woods Light Load Member

    Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    Hello all! So far I have filed for my MC/DOT number. I am working on the insurance. Have a single axle Freightliner FLD that is going to haul my own equipment around and also do some other custom hauling for hire. I filed for a business name through the Texas Secretary of State. I am needing to register the truck as I just purchased this one a few weeks ago. I am confused on the IRP and IFTA currently. Some say you don't have to have them unless you are going out of state a lot (I will mainly be in state to begin with unless it gets busy out of state). According to the registration office though I have to have my fuel tax form. Which fuel tax form is she referring to? Also I was told that only using my own trailer, I do not need apportioned plates. Is this correct. Basically what else do I need to run in TX? Then what extra for out of state?
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Espressolane

    Espressolane Road Train Member

    Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    A good source for information for operating in the state of Texas, would be you state trucking association. Link Texastrucking

    Also, OOIDA has a lot of information, check that web site.
    Andrew Woods Thanks this.
  4. Andrew Woods

    Andrew Woods Light Load Member

    Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    Thank you! Checking them out now!
  5. Numb

    Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

    Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    try posting in the O/O forum.
  6. MysticHZ

    MysticHZ Road Train Member

    May 28, 2010
    Green card ...
    Guitar Man Thanks this.
  7. Guitar Man

    Guitar Man Medium Load Member

    Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    You beat me to it. Lol
    MysticHZ Thanks this.
  8. Rocking 4M

    Rocking 4M Bobtail Member

    Mar 27, 2016
    If you are going to run solely intrastate (within Texas) you don't need an IRP, IFTA or Apportioned Plates. You can use a combination plate on the tractor. You will have to register the tractor based on the gross weight you plan on hauling. The trailer plate in Texas is cheap. You will want a token plate for the trailer. A farm trailer plate will work, but you have to stay within a 105 miles (or so) of the place where the trailer is registered. You will need to join a drug testing consortium. If you are going to run interstate then you need the IRP, IFTA and Apportioned Plates. Running in another state with a combination plate requires a trip permit in each state and that is a pain. If you stay within Texas you are not required to have E-logs until December 2018 unless your tractor is a 2000 or older model. This information is based on my experience and I run solely within Texas at the moment. Some of the rules may have changed since I got everything set up. The state of Texas has some decent handbooks that you can get as well.
    TheyCallMeDave Thanks this.
  9. aussiejosh

    aussiejosh Road Train Member

    Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Would be some goods posts on this in the O/O section.
  10. Bdog

    Bdog Road Train Member

    Nov 6, 2014
    Rocking 4M is spot on.

    If you stay in Texas you don’t need IFTA or IRP.

    IRP is the apportioned registration. It has nothing to do with whose trailer you pull it has to do with splitting up your registration fees if you run in numerous states.

    IFTA is the fuel tax. Essentially you have to keep track of all miles driven and where you buy fuel and they split up the fuel taxes among the states based on what percentage of your driving was there.

    Getting a MC number (also referred to as authority) allows you to haul for hire across state lines. The MC number itself is cheap but you will need a commercial auto policy that files a form with the FMCSA before it activates. Getting insurance that will file this form is expensive. Five figures expensive.

    If you only operate in Texas you need intrastate authority from the Texas DMV and they too require an insurance filing but the insurance can be had much cheaper.
    Rocking 4M Thanks this.
  11. Andrew Woods

    Andrew Woods Light Load Member

    Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    Thanks guys y’all have been very helpful. I am more than likely going to be running interstate but probably more often than not staying intrastate. I have already filed for an interstate DOT number and am working on insurance quotes still. I am going to call a compliance company Monday that I was referred to by a friend and see what they say.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted