Starting out, what is the pay really like?

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by dfaf, Oct 28, 2013.

1. dfaf

dfaf Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    California
    I've had my reservations about starting a career in the trucking industry, some of which has been put at ease through reading about others experiences here on the forums. However, regarding pay, things haven't been laid out as clear. I have to be able to support my family while out on the road, otherwise what's the point? My wife and I currently pull in about 34k-35k yearly between the both of us. We live modestly but my children have all their needs met, we have a roof over our heads, and we rarely are without. In order to support my family I'll need to make at very least $450 a week take home(after taxes). What can I realistically expect, regarding pay, in my first six months with CR?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    One major consideration in trying to figure your take home pay will be whether or not you have to have health insurance taken out of your pay weekly.
    A good average weekly take home for a family man with 2 kids, just starting out at .26-.28 would be in the range of $550. After one year you should expect to rise to $650 YMMV.
    The other thing about a 48 state OTR company is if you are not a local or regional driver, expect to stay away from home for 3-5 weeks at a time. How does your wife feel about that? You will miss a lot of the little thing's your kid's will do.

dfaf Thanks this.
  4. dfaf

dfaf Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    California
    $550 after taxes? That's something we can work with. I understand that with experience comes higher wage, it's the same for every profession, and starting out we all have pay their dues. As far me being away from home goes, I decided a little over a month ago to pursue a job as an OTR truck driver and I've been discussing it at length with my wife. She's come to terms with it, doesn't necessarily like it, but she understands that there's a real potential to allow me to earn a decent living. I keep telling her things like don't expect me home for holidays, birthdays, etc etc, and it's sinking in. I know it's going to put some strain on our relationship but as long as I can financially provide for my family, everything will work out for us in the end. She'll get to be a stay at home mom, which is something I currently am not able to provide for her. $550 huh, okay, I'm going to contact CR today, get a start date for classes.

One other quick question. When I was young man I got several speeding tickets, and even had my license suspended for failure to appear. The tickets are over ten years ago, the suspension was cleared in 2004. I've only had 2 fix-it tickets since, could these old tickets cause an issue with attempting to obtain my CDL? How far back does CR look into your driving history?

5. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    After taxes...with no deductions plus or minus 500 ( my current avg. is right at 500 a week in a month period)
    You may get 1000 one week and 250 the next week and 325 the next.p,etc,etc.

So in a four week span the avg. is barely 500

Throw in health ins for one person reduce that by around 140-150

It's worth noting that Food on the road can also destroy a pay check very rapidly.

dfaf Thanks this.
  6. driver7702003

driver7702003 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    FLORIDA
    The tickets should not show up anything in last 7 to 10 years may the fix-it ticket is a non moveing violation that should be good

7. dfaf

dfaf Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    California
    Food has been a concern of mine, but I'm currently preparing for the worst by stocking up on canned/dry foods. Although I've not yet figured out how routing yourself to a Walmart to pick up supplies works, I know other drivers manage to, so I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get out with a trainer. In any case I'm planning on eating no better then college student, Ramen and Canned goods for me. I'm so much more concerned about my wife and children having a roof over their heads and good food in their bellies. I believe my children will still qualify for our current insurance policy, but I'll defiantly look into what CR offers.

Well, I finally got hold of the recruiter and I'm filling out the additional forms now. I'm hoping that nothing in my past will prevent me from moving forward, the recruiter didn't seem to think so. Looks as if the hiring/schooling is year round so I'll be shooting for start date in early December since my wife's employer requires a month notice in advance to fill her position.

8. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    Because no one has said it yet, stay away from cr England. There are much better companies that actually pay you to work. Don't expect anywhere near $450 a week working for them. Just being honest.

dfaf Thanks this.
  9. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    This is a funny thread. The 'OP' dfaf, writes like college grad, complete with well-placed comma structure and parentheses [ '(' ')' ]. Doesn't write at all like a truck driver wannabe making $450 week between both husband and wife working. Funnee!!

And where's the conversation leading? Oh, CR is an okay place for a newbie!! Don't know about that myself. Recommend read both CR and Swift threads, all of them.

/Sorry. My mistake. Now that's funny. My bad. No, CR not same as CRE. If I'm not mistaken, CR recently purchased by Swift. I'm editing out the 'E' and the post. I've been participating on a CRE thread so... Oh, well. Sorry!! : 0)

Good luck to you, dfaf. Here's CR's CSA score: http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SMS/Data/carrier.aspx?enc=2xljGwN2c/w=

If I were you, I'd be concerned about 65.9% Driver Safety score. That's high and if you look, lots of speeding tickets (144) and failure to obey traffic control device (139) as well as improper lane changes, etc. Usually high Driver Safety goes along with HOS (Hours of Service) but HOS is at 26.1%, which isn't too bad. So, is this senior drivers not taking CSA seriously or push, push across the board? Dunno. CR enforces HOS but may not be giving drivers enough time to make delivery, would be my concern.

To me that's a flag, though. 218 tickets January 2013 thru September 2013, about one ticket this year for every 10 seats (2600 trucks) at that rate.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    dfaf Thanks this.
  10. dfaf

dfaf Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    California
    I was under the impression that CR England and Central Refrigerated were entirely different companies. Anyone care to shed some light upon this?

Oh and by the way, thank you for the high praise of my writing skills. I'm actually a high school drop out who has spent more time as a laborer humping and hauling gear for better paid workers then myself than I'd ever care to admit. I was never was able to breakout on my own and acquire the skills necessary to move up in a trade. This was mostly due to unfortunate living conditions. In any case take what you out of this. I'm not add campaign, I am a real person, and I'm currently pursuing employment through Central Refrigerated. If you think i"m making a huge mistake, please continue to tell me why?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  11. jdiesel3406

jdiesel3406 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Philly area
    Please, please, please do all of your research before jumping in with the first company you see. Your in Cali, I don't know if you have your CDL but in less than a minute I found three companies that take grads/newbies and are better companies then CR/Swift. You do not want to work for these mega carriers.
    http://www.maytrucking.com
    https://www.drivedecker.com
    http://www.systemtrans.com/driver-opportunities

I would pick System. Its flatbed, pays more right out the gate, they have local and regional, and you can move up to heavy haul after some experience.

spectacle13 and dfaf Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.