Starting pay what did you make your first driving?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by lil fred, Dec 10, 2012.

1. HeatherRose

HeatherRose Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2012
    My "story" was not a lie.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Now thats funny!!! I was pretty much given the same treatment after the dude dressed practically like little Jimmy Dickens gave some "rah rah" we're the greatest and how he was the greatest driver in the world. He then took questions and there was mainly stunned silence.. I popped up and asked how many trucks they ran and how many they lost a year in accidents.. He got PISSED and then stormed off.. took their road test and was told that I failed... it was complete #########. I think I would have made 8 cpm as a co driver / trainee. Took the bus home.. was rather glad that I never signed on.. got a local job a few days after I got back to CA.

4. HeatherRose

HeatherRose Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2012
    For 4 years, I ran local around Chesapeake, Va. pulling end-dump and equipment low boy for a land clearing company. Then I moved to Phoenix and pulled an end-dump for a demolition company, when I got the itch for over the road again. I figured what the hell and put an app in with Swift. They called my in for an interview. The woman said every thing looked good but seeing I hadn't had 1 year of over the road experience in the last 4, I would have to ride with a trainer for six months. I asked her at what rate of pay. She said trainee pay was $240 a week. I told her to take my application and roll it up as tightly as she could then bend over the desk and slowly push it up her ### because there was no flippin way I was working in a team operation with my level of experience for $240 a week. I was asked to leave. Within 2 weeks I was running solo coast to coast flat bed LTL for 37% of the gross.

Bumpy, The Challenger and lil fred Thank this.
  5. TruckerJimbo

TruckerJimbo Medium Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Florida
    Started in 2001 at $0.23 per mile for Dick Simon. Almost 12 years later and a different company I am at $0.47 and getting all the miles I want.

lil fred Thanks this.
  6. 57 tbird

57 tbird Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Big D, Lone Star State
    First paid driving job was a14' flatbed Ford F-600. Ran local delivery of metal drywall studs, wallboard & acoustical ceiling tile out of Rochester NY. Was paid $7.00 per hour snow and ice and the Thruway to Buffalo and Syracuse in 1977 at 19.

First OTR job was team out of Grand Prarie TX for Overland Express in October 1977. Did oriention in Indianapolis. Got $250.00 a week as a student for 8 weeks cause of the Christmas Holidays. Think I got 10 cents a mile driving a cornbinder 9670 COE. FUN TIMES!

lil fred Thanks this.
  7. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

march 1991....MNX...red freighliner cabover..with a 9 speed...... paid .19 cpm....was there 6 months before i went to work for a fleet owner leased to a diff co. climbed into a w900L KW....dont remember the pay...but i still remember the truck no. of the red KW...LOL

The Challenger and lil fred Thank this.
  8. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    LOL! I started with them in '86, new drivers were getting .085 per mile by that time! And we had A/C, but usually didn't run it until it got REALLY hot (saving fuel, of course, LOL). Good times, indeed! ####, we must have REALLY wanted to be truck drivers, huh?

lil fred Thanks this.
  9. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

hubby started out (1983) in a 1972 international cabover, no power steering, no radio, ran from Louisiana to CA, pay was 15% of gross

lil fred Thanks this.
  10. Tennessee Trucker

Tennessee Trucker Heavy Load Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Winchester,Tn.
    The yard space I lease is at the old Overland Express Terminal in Nashville, There is an old broke down 9670 in the back, don't know who owns it but would love to restore it. My first truck at Schneider was a 9670

57 tbird Thanks this.
  11. Tennessee Trucker

Tennessee Trucker Heavy Load Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Winchester,Tn.
    When did Sonny Pruitt ever get any freight delivered? him and his sidekick were always getting nito bar fights and rescuing waitresses in distress LOL, good times this is a fun thread lets keep it going.

lil fred Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.