Starting Schneider National Dedicated Flex Fleet

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by vipie1992, Dec 21, 2020.

1. CuibapDaika

CuibapDaika Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2021
    The Lone Star.
    Thanks y’all.

I have another question: I am confident myself in common sense, I can learn stuffs quickly, but because I didn’t really drive big rig 7 years, I probably forget some skills: pre-trip, trip planning, reading Road Atlas, HoS, backing tricks, moving-feeling, etc… So, should I take a refreshing course or just go ahead apply and jump in orientation/training!?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Just jump in.

If you learned it once, you can learn it again. Also Schneider 's training group is pretty darn good and will help you knock the rust off for "free".

CuibapDaika and Lonesome Thank this.
  4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    with one glaring exception...

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Mr. Happy just showed up.
    Hidey ho, Rat!
    How's that "home every day " treating you?

6. mickeyrat

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    #6 of 19 on the board. 502 mile run approx 7hr55min drive time on about 9hr30min day 4 d/h. mine as long as I want it. .718 cpm and $29.41hr til annual raise kicks in in may. company continues to grow in a measured way hampered now by new truck availability

my life is terrible

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  7. mickeyrat

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    how bout you? settling in to dedicated life?

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Honestly, it's not as much fun as the load board.
    Pretty much run 5-600 miles a day to different places, but never run out my 70.
    I'm having to get used to people telling me where to go and how to get there.
    But, it's not bad.
    I get up at 4, and roll by 5, and I'm usually home by 5.
    My first week I nett'ed just over $1000. So, I'm in a pretty good place.
    Just miss the adventure.

9. mickeyrat

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    me too. but my wife likes to see me for some reason and the dogs do too...

Speed_Drums, Lonesome and dwells40 Thank this.
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    agreed.....for some reason, she's being much nicer to me. So, it's all very good.
    Trying to 'get into the groove'......it's coming along day by day.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  11. vipie1992

vipie1992 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Northwest Louisiana
    Been quite awhile sorry for not updating much but there wasn't much to update about. I did the Schwan's reefer account from November when I got my new truck, until the end of March. I took 2 weeks off and took a vacation on the west coast at the end of January. I thought when I came back from vacation I would end up doing a different account, but they sent me back to Schwan's. I ran the Schwan's account for 6 more weeks before they decided to change me over to something else.

The Schwan's account was very easy, which made it kinda boring, sometimes I would find myself wishing I could do flatbed again just so I could be more active and physical. I missed getting out of the truck and doing stuff.. well I have to be careful what I wish for lmao. At the end of March they switched me over to Home Depot Site Delivery in Kentucky, and I've been running it since then. It's the same deal that I did in Minnesota and Pittsburgh, but now I'm doing it in the Lexington and Louisville area of Kentucky. It's not quite as bad in terms of locations as Pittsburgh was, but it's still not as easy as Minnesota was. The people here are Different as well. It's interesting how the attitudes of people change from one place to another. There is a daycab that I could use for this account, but I've been managing just fine with my Sleeper and the 36 foot trailers. Having the sleeper is handy because if I want to I can decide to end my shift and spend the night at a truck stop instead of going to the Home Depot first to switch trucks. Since I run between Louisville and Lexington there are a couple truck stops between them on I-64 that I can stay at, there are also a couple pilots north of Lexington in Georgetown that I've been using as my main source for fuel and a shower.

The rural parts of Kentucky have a lot of 10 foot wide one lane roads and I seem to always find myself on those roads. Also a lot of dead end roads and places where the only way out is to back out the way you came, sometimes for half a mile or more. I've come to learn that this is just how the Home Depot account is run. In any other account or situation you might run at Schneider, you would get fired for doing the things that you have to do on the Home Depot account lmao. Parking on the shoulder, parking in the middle of a street, driving in residential neighborhoods, driving offroad, backing across a roadway, etc. Goes against everything we were taught but this account would cease to exist if we didn't do these things.

But anyway, they seem to be very shorthanded around here so I am doing a LOT of work. Back to the 6 day work week and 34 hour resets that are exactly 34 hours lmao. Now I'm missing doing the boring reefer account again.
    Next week I'm taking off work for 10 days, hoping that when I come back from time off that I'm on an account that is a little less stressful. Home Depot is gonna burn me out if I have to do it all summer lol.

Anyway, stay safe out there!

Opus, drvrtech77, wulfman75 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.