starting school

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by jaydogg, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jaydogg

jaydogg Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2008
    murfreesboro, tn
    hey all...i am starting school tomorrow and i was wanting to know people's inputs about who i need to work for..i am out of murfreesboro, TN..(nashville)..and i am not too crazy about spending 6 weeks in another state without seeing my family during training and not making that much money..and who has the miles and the pay? seems everyone has something bad to say about every company..how about a good one for a newbie? i am liking mccelroy and tmc and millis so far...but just from what i have found on the internet..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Welcome Jaydogg to the forums!

What school are you attending? Is it company sponsored or are you paying for it yourself?

You are going to find that there is good and bad in every company, and there are a ton of 'newbie' companies that hire students right out of school or have their own schools.

Best advice I can give (which is what I did) is do your research on companies that interest you. Weigh the pro's and con's of each one and find out what fits best for you. Compare pay, bonuses, OJT training time, benefits, potential home time and routes.

Picking your first company is a huge decision, so make it wisely as it is best to stay at least a year with your first company then you can move on to 'greener pastures' easier if things are not working out for you.

4. jaydogg

jaydogg Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2008
    murfreesboro, tn
    i am attending CDI/TDI in christiana, tn...there is supposedly over 40 companies they do training for, and the recruiter said ill pretty much have my choice, even though it seems they try to push people toward werner, since they do the newspaper advertising for the school. There is no contract obligation to any certain company..if i quit the company..i just assume the loan myself.. I have heard WAY too many bad things about that company to even consider it, from what ive read on here, im thinking of just trying to go to a smaller company that is based in tennessee, might pay a little less...but it seems it would have a lot less BS as well..just gotta get my 1-2 year experience. A lot of the "good ones"..well..the ones my father has worked for, doesnt take newbies..like Ryder and Taylor..guess ill have to suck it up till i can get on with someone like them...

5. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Hopefully, you didn't/aren't spending big money out of your own wallet for this training. I hope you got a grant to pay for it or the school is cheap. If you're paying your own way, you're paying too much if you're giving 'em more than about 750 bucks. I was an idiot and spent 5 thousand.

Going with a smaller company is best, assuming those outfits will hire a green driver. Stay away from the outfits the school pitches. The training/turnover thing in trucking is a huge racket (which you'll figure out pretty quickly) so you want to be ultra-careful at this stage. If you don't stay out of certain whirlpools, you'll get sucked to the bottom and chewed up like many a guy before you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.