Starting to regret trucking school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Doggod, Jun 7, 2022.

1. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Backing accidents are the most common type of trucking accident. I didn’t feel great about backing until I had a year of experience. Even now I avoid backing accidents waiting to happen. I was delivering a drop to Ralph’s in Compton, CA a few weeks ago and they assigned me a spot that was blindside and tight for an OTR truck, oh I was going to do it, but if it takes me 20 minutes, oh well. So the yard goat guy saw me getting out and looking like every foot I moved back and just motioned for me to drop it and he’ll handle it. That’s what I wanted all along, or I gum up the whole works. It’s not my fault the backing is that tight. Make situations work for you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SMK Shoe

SMK Shoe Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2012
    When I first got with my trainer at TMC, my backing was horrible. We had a afternoon off, couldn't pickup till next morning. Parked at a large flying J early afternoon. He pulled a folding chair out from under the bunk, set it up a few spaces down and told me to pull out, drive around the lower parking lot, and back into the spot next to where I was at. Once I did that, he told me to pull out, drive around the parking lot, and back into the spot next to me. Did that a couple times, he moved his chair, and I did it a few more time. By the time we shut down for dinner, I backed into probably 50 spots. I am sure drivers were wondering and laughing, but from struggling the first few times to really hitting my marks near the end. it was worth it. Only way to get better at backing is to do it. It WILL become natural. I have a harder time backing my pickup now than a big truck. Your brain gets rewired to back a tractor/trailer.

tarmadilo, Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I drove straight Trucks for 8 yrs. before TT. I was very comfortable in a Truck. However my first Load in the winter got Me a little shook up. Felt like I was going to slide off the road. I went 45-50mph, other Trucks were hammered down, flying past me. I had an old cabover and a light load. I stopped and called my dad, who happened to be home. Told him I was having a panic attack Lol. He just laughed, told me to take my time, be careful. Those Trucks flying past are probably loaded heavy, and I was worried about nothing. Bottom line, I wasn’t expecting to get scared. It happens though. Healthy fear, better safe than sorry. Doing the same run every night, I saw a lot of those fast Trucks in the ditches.

JolliRoger and ozzyoztrucker Thank this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Dont let your selfdoubt or fear guide you... Learn from it, and let it keep you safe and aware.

I been in and out of trucks for nearly 25 years. Ive driven many different types of setups. In 2017 I finally decided to drive truck professionally as a full time career and hired onto a small OTR Reefer outfit. Love it. It was the first time id ever driven an Auto-Shift truck, and I was fine with it. After almost 5 years I decided I needed to be closer to home more, and I switched to another outfit that has trucks, but is nit a trucking company. I hired on to drive double tankers... I was scared ####less. I knew I could do it, but it had been years since I drove a manual... Even longer since I had pulled tanker... And still longer since I had been in controll of a set of doubles... But I didnt let my fear control me... I used it to keep myself humble, aware, and safe.

6. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    you will learn to back up....the real fun comes when you desend your 1st mountain

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. Zangief

Zangief Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Jags Fan in Viking Country
    I remember when I was first out driving on my own. On my first few deliveries, I didn't know for sure where I was going and that was when panic started to set in. The thing that helped me was just thinking "when in doubt, SLOW DOWN." Slowing down gives you more time to think and can prevent you from getting into situations where you are in over your head. That helped me get through that first part of my driving career and before long, things just started feeling more and more natural.

If I can give you any advice, I would say to try not to put too much pressure on yourself. If you miss a turn, you can always go around the block. If you can't go around the block, you can go up the road one mile or ten. Whatever it takes to get back where you need to be. When it comes to backing, don't ever be afraid to ask for help. Most drivers are more than willing to help guide you in. We were all beginners at one time, so we all understand. All that matters is that you don't hit anything, and if you need to G.O.A.L. 20 times, so be it. You will get better every time you do it.

Another thing I would recommend is to watch other drivers backing in when you are sitting at the truck stop. Try to see how they line their truck up, and watch the line their trailer wheels take as they back into the spot. As others have said, IT WILL get easier. Before long, it will all start to click for you and you will be able to get into just about any space you need.

Hang in there, brother. We've all been where you're at and you can and will get through it!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Spent my whole life around trucks. Drove them around the yard, in/out of the shop etc. First time I actually went out on crowded public streets it was terrifying. Within about 20-30 minutes of just getting used to traffic and the off-track of the trailer when turning it got a lot easier. Give it time, it'll come.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.