Starting to think about replacing my truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 86scotty, Jul 14, 2021.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    It's not even a fly for me. Volvo in Virginia is about 3 hours from my house. I will absolutely pick up if I can.

Thanks for the reminder on capital gains tax, fellas. I knew about it already but it is important to always keep in mind. I presume as a trade in my tractor won't even bring 30 so it won't be that bad for me I hope.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    The '22 Mack Anthem I have coming in 2 weeks was ordered middle of February. The original build date slipped out about 6 more weeks in the mean time, due to parts shortages.

I got lucky on my first one last year. Right time right place. I happened to walk in right when another guy, who had ordered 8 trucks exactly like I would have spec'd, only took delivery on one of them. I got the last of the 7 he didn't buy, so the other guy had done all the waiting for me.

4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Just wait to you find out what sniffy Joe’s retroactive capital Gains tax is on inheriting a property from your parents.

my father just hired a real estate attorney to put his property in a trust , so the property won’t pass to us, just ownership of the trust. Thus no taxes .

Rideandrepair and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    You’d look so nice in a chromed out 389. Make sure you think this through. ;)

Rideandrepair, 86scotty and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Times have changed I wanted to pick mine up at Chillicothe and was told I absolutely couldn’t do that…….

7. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I ordered my Volvo 860 in May of this year. It was scheduled to be built in November but Volvo had a strike going on this year. Now it is scheduled to be built the end of January 22. If anyone else cancels ahead of me I will get that build slot. I added the 500K extended warranty on for aftermarket and engine as well.
    If you can find a dealer that has already one being built I would try to get it. You can change pretty much anything before the build is being done to make it what you want. Prices are going up for next year as well.
    Also I am gonna try out the [​IMG] this time. I normally do not set in the truck for more then ten hours and drive 500-700 a day when out. I added the Solar Panel to it as well to help a little while parked and home. Hopefully it will be good enough to do what I need it to do.

8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Wouldn't surprise me if they did charge more for a 13. I'd still go for it though. What engine spec are you going with?

9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Huh, I’ll have to check it out. August is here already so shouldn’t be too much longer. I’ll let you know what happens.

10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I don’t know how much you care about fuel mileage but with fuel increasing I’d stick with the auto. My 13 speed does about .5 mpg worse the the autos. Plus resale will be lower on the 13 speed for sure.

Rideandrepair and 86scotty Thank this.
  11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I stopped in and talked to a salesman today. I learned some interesting stuff. Most of this is across the board or close, doesn't matter if I buy from him or not. I don't think I'll be ordering from this guy but he was helpful.

With excise tax before the price increase that is about to happen I'd be paying around $172 for an O/O spec'd 860. This is before APU. His price on a Tripac installed across the road is about $12,400.

To start and order there is a non-refundable $5k charge to lock it in. This probably varies from dealer to dealer. I figured it would be closer to 10 so that's pretty good news.

Volvo WILL charge more for a 13 speed.

You can't get a regular D13 anymore. I question this. Website plainly says you can order a Cummins but this guy said they are only building them with the newer compounding turbo D13.

Extended warranty is about $9k for 600,000 for engine and aftertreatment. iShift tranny is already warrantied to 750k.

Volvo is only building sold orders.

A 760, largely the same but a few inches shorter, smaller cabinets and single bunk if you want, are only about $3k cheaper than an 860. To me this explains why I see so many fleets running new 860's these days.

@midwest, yep I know. I'll probably just go with iShift. Mine has been flawless. The new one with manual shifting (that mine doesn't have) will probably be just fine.

@Brett, I don't know but sounds like they are making it hard to not go with the compounding turbo D13/iShift combo. I'm not a fleet so I don't know how much pull I can have here. But, I know a few guys who run these new compounding turbo motors and they do get amazing mileage, like 8.5 to 9. He said the tuning most people go for on the 860's is the 455/1850 combo. Sounds a little weak on the HP side but that's how the compounding turbo works. I'm at 500/1750 on my buggy and it's plenty but I sure wish I could shift it manually.

Brettj3876 and Cat sdp Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.