Starting truck in -20 Celcius

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Randhawa.56, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018

You also have to get the webasto that cycles the coolant through and warms the coolant, it keeps your block warm and cold starts are a thing of the past, properly set up they are quite slick

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve often heard that, still a radiator going down the road, or idling with a strong wind, will run colder, with good stats. Cold air, warm air affects engine temperature.

4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    . The coolant heater will warm the engine, heating and circulating the Coolant. The bunk heater will only warm the bunk, with warm air. A block heater is just a 1500w electric hot water tank element, on older Trucks. They have a special sealed type plug. But a regular $20 heater tank would work on many Trucks. Just hook a cord to it. Cost $50 maybe. Google it. Different types Cummins. Detroit’s and Cats are about the same. Usually screws into the oil cooler, some may be shorter etc. Only need to plug in 1-2 hrs before starting usually You’ll hear what sounds like the coolant boiling in the block.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Radiators and non-organic materials do not have the issue of subsurface damage and heat transfer by convection.

wind chill doesn’t apply to metal, it gets cold and stays cold at the ambient temps.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I know what you mean. It has to be hard on them. But Ive been doing it for years. You’d be surprised, especially with the Lucas. Everything still has a coat of oil on it. Pressure comes up right away. No worse than after an oil change, filling filters, as far as oil pressure is concerned. Diesels are tough. Too much ether can lock them up, from hot vapor. You swear you blew up the engine. After 10-15 minutes, it’s freed back up. Give it a good shot, about 5 seconds, more if needed while cranking. One tough start isn’t going to hurt it.

ProfessionalNoticer and TallJoe Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Yes so I’ve heard.

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Leave it sitting until it warms up a little bit

9. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    I use 3 aluminum turkey pans. Fill em with a bag of charcoal. Light em up. 1 under each tank, 1 under engine bay OFFSET from the pan (as they are made of plastic) to provide heat to that area. Give it 45 min

10. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    I have 3 AGM’s and a capacitor bank. I also redid my interior using a spray foam kit from Home Depot.

11. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.