Starting truck in -20 Celcius

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Randhawa.56, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    The factories should be ashamed of themselves for the "insulation" that they use in these trucks, I didn't do the spray foam everywhere cause I don't like the squeak you get from it (which goes away eventually) but did spray foam some of the areas I couldn't get at but used basically a kilmat to start off with with other layers of thicker insulation, the goal is to not have reefers and apu's wake me up when they are next to me, we will see when I get the sleeper all put back together and on if I accomplished that. I already did my cab and firewall and the noise level in the cab is significantly lower and I also do not get the heat transfer through the fire wall in the summer, also did the floor in double layers also and that quieted things down really good also.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Get a heat gun and point it at the intake manifold. It's metal on my truck. 15 minutes the manifold be hot. That hot air will vaporize the diesel better and it should start.

4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Why not use a small shot of ether or WD40? I use the hose that attaches to the back of my air filter gauge in the dash to inject it. It's very rare if I ever have to resort to such measures though.

5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Mine is usually good about starting up in those temps but it got down well below zero the other night and the batteries just didn't have enough juice. No electricity where I've been parking it. Brought my little honda 2000w generator over and ran it for 45 minutes to the block heater. Got her warm enough to fire right up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.