Starting TTC-Nashville on 2/16/12

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by flatt, Feb 15, 2012.

1. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    The last few days have had us practicing basic backing and shifting. Trying to get the double clutch groove back. Took a tour of the Averitt Nashville Hub last Friday. Pretty impressive operation.

Later, y'all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    Always start the day w/pre-trip inspection. Worked on off-set backing, blindside parallel parking, trailer coupling/uncoupling.

On a sidenote...waiting my turn for one of the backing exercises, several of us get to see a big-name company's tractor trailer enter the driveway to the school, blows thru a couple of stop signs, turn around in a grassy graveled area, exiting thru some of said grass (luckily it gets some traffic and is pretty solid).

:biggrin_2556:

Anyway...good weather and lotsa practicing today.

4. Freeform

Freeform Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2011
    South Central, KY
    Hey Flatt whats the class cost in nashville? I have checked into Etown Community College and also a place in Bowling Green KY

5. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D

Not sure what it would cost you if you are out of state, but in-state cost is roughly $1500.00 for the 8week course.

Freeform Thanks this.
  6. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    Good day today. More off-set backing/parallel parking practice.

Got on the street w/the Pete and a trailer today. Made the gear recoveries, up/downshifts, turns, etc., ok. Just gotta work on my timing when double clutching.

Did good, nothing run over but the pavement. :biggrin_2554:

7. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    Im trying to get info on when the next course starts at the jackson, tn ttc. Does anyone know how often they start program or can just sign up anytime? I was also wondering if they offer any type of financial aid that will maybe help cover cost as I am unemployed.

8. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    next course -I'd suggest getting on their website for some contact info. Give them a call to see about their scheduling for their driving class.

how often - It took me 4 months to get a seat in the class, so start now if at all possible. The sooner the better as far as getting everything started. There may be a waiting list. Nashville's program is on an 8wk schedule.

financial aid - I hadn't planned on signing up for financial aid going in, but was recommended to do so. I did and got half the class paid for thru a state grant (Wilder-Naifieh[sp?]). Also, check with your career center to see if they may be able to help find out if you qualify for any other monies that might be available to you. (WIA maybe?)

Hope this helps and good luck!

9. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    Had 3 different recruiters in class today. Werner, Huff-n-Puff, and McElroy.

Was really surprised with what all Werner was offering. Yes, I know, they are selling their company, but until today, didn't know the first thing about them. They are a huge company.

Huff-n-Puff is a small flatbed company out of Bradyville, TN. Very hands-on, family-type outfit. Only about 55 trucks.

McElroy...see their website. Recruiter basically went thru all info from it, and then had to scoot w/not many questions.

I got to take the Pete and a trailer thru some of the local streets in Nashville. Still gotta work on my timing in regards to shifting, but everything else was ok.

10. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    Thanks for the info! I checked on the website about a week ago and called the school, but kept getting voicemail with my contact person. Think I am gonna drive over next chance I get and see whats up. Could be I have to wait, but I think the jackson center is not as busy.

I advise you to think about learning a skill set that makes you valuable to a company like flatbed and tankers. Really increases your opportunity for better money as you gain experience. I happen to be quite familiar with the business and different companies since my dad has been an O/O for 40+ years, so if you need an opinion on something let me know.

11. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    Thanks for the advice, Hamboner. This is my 2nd time around w/trucking, so I've got a little bit of experience (about a yr's worth, but was 15 yrs ago-an opportunity that lasted 14 yrs presented itself and was too good to pass on). Missed it and wanted to get back into it. Thinking tankers may be the route for me, just haven't decided yet.

As far as the school, I ended up with better results going by in person also.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.