Starting TTC-Nashville on 2/16/12

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by flatt, Feb 15, 2012.

1. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    Passed today's test (think maybe 100%-didnt get them back today). My day for road driving: did good, got 18 miles in on-road in and around Nashville today.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    check with your career center they paid 100% for me and my wife to go to ttc nashville almost 9 years ago, it was $950 for the 12 weeks back then......

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    just remember backing backing and more backing..... when you do get out on your own if you can't back you don't get to go to bed.....! and late at night after driving for 10+hr's you can't go to bed until you can park in the truck stop on a dark rainy night.....

but you'll be fine ttc nashville is a great school

flatt Thanks this.
  5. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D

You are so right about the backing...practice practice practice. Spent a couple hours going thru the pretrip w/another student first thing this morning. Dang, we skipped spring around here...was HOT on the practice field today, 86* when class let out this afternoon. Still, a beautiful day.

Tomorrow's agenda @ school: 4 recruiters: 1 I'm interested in, 1 I drove for ~15yrs ago (and a maybe sort of interested in), and the other 2...can't remember who they were supposed to be...sorry.

Did submit app to Crete over the weekend and spoke w/a recruiter today. One of the instructors @ school drove for them and had ~90% positive comments about them. I was told to keep in touch w/them, that they were waiting on some verifications.

Also spoke w/a Conway Truckload recruiter this afternoon. They didnt' have a list on their website of their approved driving schools like some other companies, but before I could finish answering where I was going, I got a "Yes, we hire from them!". Looked over their info that was emailed...looked good also.

Later, y'all!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    Thursday was recruiter day: Schneider, Roehl, R E West, and Falcon, with a visit from one of the THP DOT officers.

Maverick came in yesterday morning. Sounded like a good company, but after today's experience-more on that in a moment...I don't know if I could work for a company that only utilizes an automatics-only fleet (still trying to wrap my head around that one). Rest of day was spent working on classroom stuff we'd saved for a rainy day like yesterday.

And about today...our usual road truck was taken for service yesterday, so that left us w/the automatic KW T2000 (it's BigBird yellow-hence the nickname BigBird). It'd definitely take me more than 19 miles around downtown Nashville to get used to an automatic trans in a big truck. I got a couple of negative remarks regarding my speed making left turns at intersections...gotta stand on the throttle to get the truck going, then remember to get off it so that doesnt happen anymore. Definitely chalking today up as a learning experience w/that truck. Luckily, no curbs were harmed during today's exercises.

:biggrin_2556:

Later y'all

Oh yeah, and Happy St. Patty's Day!

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    the auto takes a little time to learn..... drive it wromg and you can f--em up real bad but if you get them a little time they are nice.... been driving auto's for over 8 year

flatt Thanks this.
  8. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    That's what I finally figured out, flood! Just enough throttle to make it move, then off of it. Was in the truck just under an hour, and I know it's that I was just not used to it. I'd prefer a manual trans for a while, though, beginning driving and all. Maybe an auto in a few years.

:biggrin_2556:

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    thats the best way.... if you start with the auto and then change jobs you will have probs but the other way gives you time

flatt Thanks this.
  10. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    Logged 80 road miles today. Nice day for a couple of drives!
    Off for the rest of the week.

:biggrin_255:

11. flatt

flatt Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    indasticks of tn ;-D
    Spoke w/a Maverick recruiter today. They seem like a good company. The Werner recruiter called again today, just wanted to touch base...

:biggrin_25513:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.