Starting with Roehl in February

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by RoseWild, Oct 14, 2016.

1. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    So you wouldn't put chains on to drive 5 miles to get over the pass instead you'd sit at truckstop possibly for several days-?

gntorres61 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Point well taken Radio Shark! Thanks. Ya got me there! Johnboy from Abilene always said "Chain to get out of a situation, not to go into one."

KF7WTV and RoseWild Thank this.
  4. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    I have had jobs where if you weren't willing to put chains on you would not work 4-5 months out of the year

5. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Fortunately, not too many regions requiring chaining. Vail pass, Cabbage Hill. Donner?

6. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would not. That's my call; others may make a different one. What lies on the other side of that pass remains a question mark, and as previously indicated by another driver, I believe that chains are for getting out of a situation, not getting into one. I'd hate to get over that pass, only to be faced with another 200 mIles of bad weather, only 2 hours left on my clock, and no safe place to park. There is almost always another way, and if there isn't, then the load can wait. If that is shutting me down for 4 months per year, then I need to stop driving in Alaska, and maybe look for loads farther south. $10/hour just isn't worth it. Not to me.

But you drive your truck any way that you see fit. I can only make those decisions for mine. And offer my reasoning for the new people to consider, when they make their decisions, for their trucks... :)

gntorres61 and RoseWild Thank this.
  7. RoseWild

RoseWild Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    So what I'm gathering from all of this is that basically, if I feel I cannot safely do something... don't do it. Becaus, ultimately, its my CDL and my life on the line.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  8. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Yup that pretty much sums it up.

RoseWild Thanks this.
  9. RoseWild

RoseWild Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Uh oh. I know you guys might say "ask your recruiter ", but I want to try here first before raising any alarms with the company.

I'm scheduled for my DOT Physical this week. Over the weekend, I caught a nasty chest cold. Heavy congestion. Snotty nose. Horrible cough. This might sound like a dumb question but... Can I still take the DOT physical with cold or should I try to reschedule? If I do try to reschedule, am I starting off on a bad foot with the company? I don't want to mess up this opportunity but I don't want to fail the physical because of a cold.

Thanks for your advice in advance. I really want to be a part of the Roehl team.

10. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    You'll get colds on the road, too. Knock that crap out with plenty of daytime meds. I prefer the liquid Dayquil, as well as sinus/decongestant pills. Be very wary of taking anything with ANY alcohol on the truck. As in, don't.

gntorres61 Thanks this.
  11. KF7WTV

KF7WTV Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    RENO, NV
    In my 14 months with Roehl I never had 1 issue with needing to take care of myself despite the load. Rick Roehl would be the 1st one to remind you that you are the captain of the ship. Make responsible choices. If you don't take care of yourself, then who is going to be there to deliver that load?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.