Starting with USX on Monday 8/8/11

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by TruckerGsch, Aug 6, 2011.

1. musicgal

musicgal Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Carthage, Missouri
    I want to add my encouragement to try another trainer. We are not all like this guy.

I am with Craig on this......there is no reason why he couldn't have stopped and let you get some food.....that is absolutely oncalled for.

Moving over is a curtesy.....just think about how it feels to have a semi pass you and how scary it can be.

As for the paper logs......they are for training purposes and if that is written on the front then DOT cannot accuse you of running two logs. There was no reason for him to pull the top sheet out....we don't send them in with the trip sheets, the whole book gets turned in when you upgrade......you are officially running on the elogs.

I just recently learned (like the past few days) that it is OK to go in at the end of the night and change the amount of time that you are on duty and make some of that off duty so that you don't run through your 70 so quickly.......the only line you cannot manipulate is the drive line.

We are allowed to drive during the first 75 hours....some trainees can't drive more than a few hours, or it takes more than 11 hrs to get where we need to be, and then we take over.....but we can't drive past the 14hr mark.

Since he hadn't been driving a standard in several years, please realize that it is not that easy and as long as his hazards were on it was better for him to stop where he did than try to get to the other lane where he might have then tied up two lanes. (been there, done that, but not on a bridge or in the middle lane)

You do not have to ride the white line or the yellow line.....the only reason for doing that is to give more space between you and the vehicle in that other lane.

It is not uncommon to be off duty while delivering, especially if you spent the night or several hours there before hitting the dock.......usx says to log on-duty for 15mins when you first get there.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tomegg

Tomegg Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Virginia
    Phillyburb: I've just finished my first day of orientation. For the duck walk, it is 44" high and we could just crouch down below the level and "walk" the required distance. the vision was one of the machines like my DMV used. I was worried about the walk with the weights, but that was all right.
    Our class has already lost 4 or five candidates. One got a ticket on his test drive! I think his tester was glad to see him out of his truck.

4. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    How do you get a ticket on a test drive??

5. federal221

federal221 Heavy Load Member

Mar 29, 2010
    new haven,IN
    how did the guy get a ticket on the drive test isnt the drice test about a hour which isnt long pretty sad

6. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    I know I should not be laughing

7. highwayman

highwayman Medium Load Member

i'm right there with you

8. Traveling_Preacher

Traveling_Preacher Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2011
    chattanooga, tn
    Been out my first 2 weeks as a OTR Solo driver. Love the work but so far it has been nothing but deciet, cheat, and lies from USX. Called in about pay rate that was .09cpm less than what I was told it would be which was .35cpm. Then got shorted 1100 miles on my first paycheck had to spend hours to get part of it. Now 2nd weeks pay got cheated out of 400 miles that 3 different phone calls to 3 different people and everyone assured me that they fixed it but did not. One 800 mi. run got paid .24cpm and can't find out why. Delayed at one shipper 7 hrs and did what I was supposed to do and did not get detention pay. Your never going to get that or any layover pay. Another 650 mile run got paid $100. Try to call in and get hung up on or transferred from dept. to dept. Pitiful! I might not go back from my home time. That's to aggravating to work like that and then not get paid. Put in almost 3000 miles first week and got $500 for my trouble. USX will get you on the road and keep telling you everything will be fixed but then it's not and will not be because when you call back they don't even remember and u deal with so many dispatchers and there is no communication between shifts.

9. Poobah

Poobah Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Arizona

If you elected to do per diem, you may not be aware that they will deduct .025 cpm from whatever rate your trip falls under on the sliding mileage payscale. I remember being frequently reminded (orientation film, terminal posters, etc.) that it cost USX more to pay a driver on per diem a dollar than a driver not on per diem. But unfortunately most drivers don't realize (and I don't recall USX explaining this before the fact) that the company recovers their lost payroll deduction by paying .025 cpm less until after they get their first few paychecks. While a driver can enroll in and start per diem immediatley with just a phone call to payroll, the company makes it more difficult to cease being on the program. After notifying payroll of the driver's intent to cease participating in per diem, one could have to wait up to three months before it takes effect as they only allow a driver to get out of it four times a year at the beginning of each calender quarter.

Traveling_Preacher Thanks this.
  10. Traveling_Preacher

Sep 1, 2011
    chattanooga, tn
    I was aware of that and did not take the per diem. I also inquired to my recruiter 3 times as to my starting pay and everythime she said .35 cpm. In orientation I asked for a conformation of this and they printed me a sheet that also said .35 cpm so now onece on the road I am getting .24cpm and .26 cpm. When I try to call to ask about it I get hung up on or just transfered from dept to dept. Very frustrating.

11. Traveling_Preacher

Sep 1, 2011
    chattanooga, tn
    With the problems I am seeing at USXpress I would just reccomend if you have a choice, to go else where for employment. Big lack of communication between depts. everyone just passes you off to someone else or blames another Dept and nothing gets fixed or solved.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.