States that require signage for just over weight

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Landincoldfire, Apr 4, 2017.

1. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Wonder what the reason is for that state not wanting them used when you are OS?

I agee!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Hey I was in that same scale house getting an overweight ticket while he got that information. Seemed QUITE odd to me, and after reading the code, beacons are indeed required for oversize moves at night (insterstates only in Wyoming) but it says nothing about not being allowed to run beacons during the day. I plan to do a little more looking into this and if you'd like I will get back to you about what I find out. Everybody around me that has beacons on their lowboy trucks runs them while oversized, and like you has for years.

MJ1657, SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Yes
    Yes, please let me know what you find out. I hauled a dozer from Riverton back to Idaho last weekend in several mini-blizzards and decided to heck with it, I'm running the lights anyway.
    I do wish Idaho and Wyoming would be more like Montana, in that anything under say 9.5 feet would not require signs and flags. Hauling 938s and 950s that are barely wider than the trailer and having to sign and flag those that are narrower than the mirrors seems silly.

5. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Been running 90k coils of steel from Calvert AL to Columbus Ms for the past week. Ran signs the first trip and haven't since. Cross a Mississippi scale once a day. They give us the green light and never check the permits. (Man, my guys paid a lot of money for this permit for it not to be checked.)

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I think I read on my last permit in Illinois that you have to run a becon for overweight only. No signs or flags just lights. I thought it was strange but maybe I just misunderstood. My load was legal weight.

7. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes, Illinois requires beacons for overweight.

That's why you see all the container guys running beacons while pulling cans.

DDlighttruck, SAR, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  8. BigNorm4Life

BigNorm4Life Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    in regards to beacons... this reminds me when I used to driving a school bus, it was illegal for us to have the strobe light on.. even in inclement weather... something to do with giving snowflakes seizures

Landincoldfire Thanks this.
  9. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    Just curious...is that a single 90k coil or multiple coils? I know what you mean with paying for permits especially for I59 in georgia but I look at it as cheap insurance in case anything legally would go wrong during the trip.

Landincoldfire and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Just one coil.

Lostkeys Thanks this.
  11. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I always wondered why they ran beacons. I always figured it was so they wouldn't run into each other in the truck stop 500.

Landincoldfire and Razororange Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.