Stay out for months or stick to minimum required?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by KNGPIN, Jul 10, 2019.

1. KNGPIN

KNGPIN Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2019
    I understand that Melton has mandatory 12 to 14 days out. Every 7 worked get you home 1.

I also understand that miles will not be very high due to tarping times and other things. From what I've read here I've deemed 1800-2200mi./wk a realistic attainable average for a rook.

Which brings me to the question. Will that average be the same whether I stay out for say 2 mo. at a time opposed to just 2 wks?

I'm 28. Girlfriend of 6 years. 3 daughters together ages 6, 3, and 5mo. My plan is to hit road hard 2 to 3 mo. at a time, more if possible. Come home a week or so. Take back off.

Not so fond of taking off while the baby is so young missing the early childhood development and all but I have rationalized the sacrifice. Thinking long-term here.

Would there be a noticeable difference in pay with my plan or should I just come back every time I get hometime?

All insight appreciated. Former or current Melton drivers especially since you guys may know the real numbers. Thanks all in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Careful don’t burn yourself out it will happen before ya know it.

dashaker, RERM, BigBob410 and 5 others Thank this.
  4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    3 months out your kids wont even know you. The wifes gonna need you more often then that. Find a dumptruck job and come home every night

Macneil, Opendeckin, dashaker and 19 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will absolutely burn yourself out. Or worse.

Gethomeitis is expensive for every day at home you are losing close to 500 dollars.

It's worth it.

I am one of those who had no trouble running say from early march through to Halloween end of October. Take leave and usually some unemployment, particularity in blacktop paving.

I am also accustomed to telling truckers that if you got a baby at home., get back there. Wife gets really resentful horribly fast while schlepping blown diapers all the time while you carouse and frolic in the bar 2000 miles away. (To paraphrase.)

6. KNGPIN

KNGPIN Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2019
    What if I used that system for 6mo.? Would 6mo. OTR qualify me for a decent local? Or would leaving my first trucking gig at only 6mo. make me a less than favorable applicant?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  7. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Not sure with Melton but I’ve noticed with most companies I’m with the home rules are a suggestion. Honestly you have family with kids growing up. I would do 3 weeks out 4 days home. Dispatcher don’t like it he can eat dirt just run hard don’t complain give the dispatcher something good to deal with the constant hometimes.

FlaSwampRat, x1Heavy and KNGPIN Thank this.
  8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Do not ever live in a company truck.
    Find a home weekly driving gig!!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  9. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    I quit my first job in a week. Got another right after. I can quit today and have 3 other jobs before i make it home.

Show up sober, run freight where it needs to go and dont mess up your csa. Youll never run out of options. The world is making more trucks and widgits every year, but less and less drivers. Nothing to worry about.

DTP, x1Heavy and KNGPIN Thank this.
  10. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I’m not one to harp on someone’s personal life, because it’s none of my business. And let me start by saying good for you for being a stand up dad and boyfriend taking care of your family. But you can make good money being home nightly or at least weekends. 3 little ones is a lot to take on for your girlfriend by herself man. There’s a lot of comments here about how they going to miss you, and bla bla, but let’s be realistic, you’re going to miss them just as much. You want to stay out 2 months + at a time, think back a bit. That was April. That’s a long time dude. Like I said you gotta do what you gotta do to provide for your family, and kudos to you for realizing that and stepping up, but your chick and kids aren’t going to remember that awesome paycheck you sent mom, they’ll remember the time spent with you. It’s such a cliché but it’s so true, you can’t get that time back. I’m sure you remember when your 6 year old was 5 months. Time flies and in the long run you don’t wanna be the one saying “I wish I would’ve been around more. Maybe too check out companies with rider policies. I know you got some young’ns but your eldest might qualify, some companies during the summer lax their age requirements since schools out. But to answer your question, if you have to and you already have your mind made up this is what you’re doing, keep your nose and record clean for 6 months and yea I think you’d be able to find a local or regional job. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

FlaSwampRat, rachi, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  11. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    My wife/kids and i were apart a few months due to a situation i had to manage. All the money i sent got burned up to medicate the stress and loneliness. We have been extremely broke for years but the kids are happy despite the finances. It isnt about the money and like he said youll wish you could rewind the clock once its too late.

x1Heavy, motocross25 and KNGPIN Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.