Stay with Dayton or move to Fed Ex Freight?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Shaner.STL, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I've met lots of guys that used to work for FXF, YRC, R&L, UPSF etc. etc. I've never come across a guy that used to work at Dayton.

That and the fact they seem to never be really actively hiring in my area when every other freight company is tells me they either are a really good place to work or they don't have much business. I'm guessing it's a good place to work.

Mooseontheloose and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shaner.STL

Shaner.STL Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Thanks for the honesty. Makes sense. I appreciate all the help!

4. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @Bob Dobalina works at Dayton, hopefully he comes thru and give you his insight.

Good luck

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    We've PMed several times. My opinion is to be patient, but I'm not pushy. Also, I can't really speak on FedEx Freight from experience, only from what I've heard. I understand he's itching to drive ASAP, so that's a huge motivator.

My personal opinion on it is that I wouldn’t jump ship in order to drive sooner unless it was to Old Dominion. Not because I think they're better, but because I think they're just as good in terms of driver treatment & atmosphere, and overall financial health & growth.
    Good point.

At my barn, there are currently ex FedEx Freight, Holland, Con-Way, Walmart, Estes, Central (Vitran/P-Jax), Ward, and Pitt-Ohio drivers, as well as various ex-foodservice guys. Those are the ones I know about and can think of. I could also include just about every other LTL company if the list included other terminals. OD is probably the only one I don't know of being represented.

The lack of hiring is definitely not due to a lack of business. Of the top 20 LTL carriers in terms of revenue, we've been the 2nd fastest growing for the past 2 years. Estes, Saia, OD, and Dayton are the only ones with double-digit growth right now, and Dayton is 2nd.

People only leave Dayton to star in big-budget movies or tour with arena-filling rock bands.

(Okay, I made up that last part.)

6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    @Buckeye91 might have an opinion. He's a fair dude who has worn every hat at DFL and runs into FxF guys every day.

7. Shaner.STL

Jul 26, 2017
    Yeah @Bob Dobalina has been a great help! Thanks for all the input.

I told fed ex I’m sticking with Dayton this morning. I feel good about the decision. I’m looking forward to spotting and learning some things.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it!

8. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Stay where you're at and just drive their trucks through their program. I got my CDL through a company just driving their trucks around with a permit and having a CDL driver with me to show me the ropes. When you feel.like you've got it down, take their truck down to the DPS, take the driving test and boom, done..That way you arent stuck paying thousands of dollars to a school, and you arent stuck in a long term committment to a OTR company that will hold you hostage for a year or two if they put you through school.

I dont know all that much about Dayton as they dont run in the South or West (that I'm aware of) but I've heard very good things here on the forums. You sound like you like it already, just stay the course and be patient. Itll.pay off in the long run..Very few people.can say they spent their entire career at one trucking company but maybe you'll be one of them.

BUMBACLADWAR and Shaner.STL Thank this.
  9. MidWester

MidWester Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Good choice sticking with Dayton...theyre both good companies but I’d get some time in before making a big choice like that.. Who knows maybe in the future you make the switch but I think your in a good spot right now.

Mooseontheloose and Shaner.STL Thank this.
  10. Shaner.STL

Jul 26, 2017
  11. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    I’d suggest sticking with Dayton as well. I’ve seen a few guys go thru the dock to driver program and it seems like a solid program. I don’t think anyone here has gone to a school. They’ve just practiced backing in a spot in the yard out of the way. They get lots of driving with trainers. It’s seemed to work very well.

Your terminal may be able to get ahold of an old 10 speed international if you’re worried about having an automatic restriction on your license. But I wouldn’t worrie about that. Everything is going auto in this industry.

As far as fedex freight goes. I did a lot of research on LTL companies before I went with Dayton. And fedex was close on my list. But Dayton was the best because I wanted some overtime and didn’t want to worry about over hiring and getting laid Off. Both are not a worry at Dayton.

You made a good choice sticking with Dayton. Just keep reminding your operation and terminal leader about your interest in the dock to driver program. They really want to see you succeed on the dock before they give you a shot at driving.

Texas_hwy_287 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.