Staying Warm…

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by leviant0107, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Alot of guys scoff at it, I sure did when I first heard it. But I decided to try it one year while hunting. Lots of walking in deep mountain snow and temps in the single digits... Feet sayed warm, dry, and not a single blister. Ive been preaching it ever since.

tramm01, JolliRoger, TripleSix and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Back when selective service/draft was going on, some guys would wear silk underwear to the physical. They would be sent home with a 4F classification.
    `
    4-F is a classification given to a new U.S. military registrant indicating that he or she is “not acceptable for service in the Armed Forces” due to medical, dental, or other reasons.

Cattleman84 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  4. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    They didn’t know any better lol

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They wore silk underwear because they didn't want to be drafted. It was assumed they are gay; which disqualified them. They only wore it that one time.
    Some guys wanted to be drafted because they didn't qualify to enlist. Being drafted was easy as long as a person could pass a simple physical.
    Some married guys had a wife and several children and didn't qualify to enlist because of too many dependents. Those guys would go to the draft board and volunteer to be drafted and could leave in a couple of days. The pay wasn't that good, but the benefits on active duty were very good for his dependents, plus a retirement in 20 years with lifelong healthcare.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have better luck with Duluth trading than carhart, I just bought three pair that was mentioned suspect zero.

the store is at wixom road and 96, sometimes you can catch a sale on them and save some money.

7. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Dress in layers , and look at getting a thin windbreaker set as a top layer, I got a base layer of compression long sleeves ,a pair of sweats/flannel fleece from sams, and a thin windbreaker jacket and pants..then Fr because of marathon.. keeping the cold wind off you is key!!

8. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Walmart carries Hanes thermal underwear. The have worked well for me in the northern winters.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Run the truck heat and bring a winter coat, gloves, hat, etc.

10. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Eddie Bauer has the down quilted long johns on sale now. Tegular long johns under thise on bitter cold days. Loose pants, shirt, coat hat and gloves and you are ready to pullsbury dough boy to work. But you will be warm. Dressed this way on a river piloting a air boat at -5, face got cold but everything else was warm.

11. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    I’m a fuel hauler too and can relate. When it’s really cold out, I wear a base layer of midweight merino longjohns that I got at the local farm/ranch supply store. FR jeans, FR high-vis rain pants as needed. Long-sleeve button-up denim shirt, fleece vest, flannel-lined canvas jacket, FR high-vis rain shell. I can easily adjust/layer from in the cab to the outside. I also carry multiple beanies, a balaclava, multiple gloves, and Hot Hands (I bought a case off Amazon). I wear two pair of socks - one pair are over-the-calf normal weight Wranglers and the other pair are carhart boot socks over those. Waterproof pull-on Ariat western boots.

Carrying a bunch of stuff is a mild inconvenience compared to the alternative.

MOBee Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.