Steaming a trailer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by pdeitrick, Dec 6, 2009.

1. pdeitrick

pdeitrick Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    High Point, NC
    I need to get my trailer steamed up to temperature for the product im hauling before i can deliver it. I have to access to the steam but no one around seems to know how to hook it up. Any one with knowledge of how to do this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. YankeeTexan

YankeeTexan Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    I am going to assume you are pulling a tanker, correct? If so, steaming a load is something your company should have set up ahead of time, usually done at a tank wash and they know how to do it. Sadly for you most tank washes are closed until midnight tonite (sun night) or mon morn. Also, if you don't know what you are doing, I would not try it yourself the first time, as you could burn yourself, damage trailer or over heat the load. I suggest contacting your company rather then rely on message board into. Much safer.

Baack Thanks this.
  4. pdeitrick

Aug 10, 2009
    High Point, NC
    Well sadly I know your right thats what I waitin for 3Am Monday mornin.
    Hopefully when someone comes in to the tank wash they can help me out. because from what I understand they only get a rare few tankers in this area of Florida that need steamed. The bad part is that the company should have set it up ahead of time but didn't, and now the driver and the customer have to suffer, another day in truckin. well at least i'm gettin paid. Thanks for the reply

5. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    what the heck are you hauling?

6. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Bummer. That sucks. How hot does it need to be and did you run in transit heat on it? They charge the steam coils with antifreeze that needs to be drained out first if its charged.

There is a fitting on the front of the trailer usually with a chicago fitting and a pop off valve. I have actually had customers modify trailers to accommodate a safer type of fitting.

I would wait for the tank wash and collect some layover pay.

7. pdeitrick

Aug 10, 2009
    High Point, NC
    Well Rob I considered running in transit heat on it. but just b4 I left they made me come in to flush the lines out so I could get it steamed later down the road if it needed it. it was loaded at 200 deg and it only needs to be at 180 for delivery, but now its at 160 and falling. But what do I know I'm just a truck driver I guess we'll collect layover and see what happens tomorrow

8. pdeitrick

Aug 10, 2009
    High Point, NC
    I cant really tell ya do to the nature of the product but it needs to be heated

9. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    I'll take that as "a steaming load of radioactive waste that you really dont awnt to wreck into"

10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Its not necessarily hazmat. Lots of products load hot and need to be unloaded above a certain temp or they clog up pumps and lines. Some of these plants have 50-100 yard pipe runs to the storage tank. It could be resin, wax, plastic or anything thick that thins out with heat. I had a resin load last week that had a temp range of 75-85. Its easy to over shoot that one with in transit heat.

11. pdeitrick

Aug 10, 2009
    High Point, NC
    Well we got steam this morning. Had a 5:30 am wake up to get everything up and running, might be able to deliver this afternoon. Tank wash in Jacksonville. Then strait to the house. It wasn't so hard after all once you find the right people that actually know something
    thanks for all the replys

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.