Steaming hydrogenated coconut fatty acid

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Miranda446f, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Miranda446f

Miranda446f Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2023
    Hello, I need to steam a trailer of hydrogenated coconut fatty acid that has been sitting for a few weeks. Boss is on vacation and I’m trying to get a general idea of how many degrees are gained per hour of steam? Thank you so much

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    TL/DR: You have to steam it until it reaches minimum temperature spec for the receiver.

Time required depends on the integrity of the tank trailer's cargo heat system, the capacity of the steam system, and operator skill in hooking it up.

After "a few weeks", that $#!^ is #### near solid enough to walk on.

This is going to be a troublesome load. I wish I could be more helpful. Good luck.

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Used to bring in Iso containers of Paraffin wax.

Melting point was 180 degrees.

At 178 degrees it was still 99% solid.

For fatty acids and fatty alcohols we used a bubbler to speed it up. picture a stainless steel version of a tuna can full of holes with a food grade hose and a bottle of Nitrogen.

The circulation provided by the bubbles mixed the warming product and it would warm quicker.

Until you have steamed a product a few times, expect it to take longer than you anticipated so plan accordingly.

You also need to use a working steam trap and monitor the actual temp to avoid scorching the product.

Without the trap [sarco valve] just running steam through the system will take much longer as the trap holds the steam in place to allow better heat transfer before releasing the now cooler steam and replacing it with fresh.

pathfinder1361 and homeskillet Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.