Steel Coil Securement

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by farmerjohn64, Jul 15, 2020.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Oh, good to know that trailer manufacturer anchor points are simple suggestions and you can just do whatever you want no matter what you're hauling then, my bad, I'll just tear out the spools that aren't rated on the boss's trailer next time I haul it (had a snap binder chain, tightened it on a spool, spool tore out, read placard, spools not rated)

So fun bloody fact, you get to be "technically correct" in that on that trailer all anchor points were fine to attach to, except the spools arent anchor points *on that trailer*

Tell me I'm a moron as much as you wish, but technically correct is the stupidest version of Correct in securement

cke, Bean Jr. and farmerjohn64 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Man there’s so much I don’t know haha I couldn’t tell ya, but the next time I’m where the trailers are I’ll answer, most of them have glad hand locks on and it took me two attempts to get the right one, flat tire on one and broken crossmember on another

cke and daf105paccar Thank this.
  4. farmerjohn64

Jun 25, 2019
    Sheesh that sounded like a bad day, gotta be sure to do my due diligence

cke Thanks this.
  5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Larger Fleets rarely run a bunch of different kinds of trailers, they buy in bulk and MOST trailers especially within fleets are almost identical, my situation was a result of my (small company) boss of the time having bought almost all of his trailers onsey-twosey, that said, I went to a different place and their safety practices were set up to ignore manufacturer ratings and therefore tear up THEIR own equipment, after over a year of showing them how and where they were costing themselves safety and money I left that place (hilariously a safety obsessed (in name) quite large company)

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  6. farmerjohn64

Jun 25, 2019
    Yeah other than the 48 foot one’s they’re phasing out all the others look identical; I think they might just do that for “advertising” purposes, seems to be a lot of bs going around

7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Deep breaths, no one called you a moron.
    You can hook your securement however you see fit and I’ll do the same.

once you get away from legal width flatbed freight I find myself almost never hooking to the rubrail or any of its components. I’m usually going directly to the frame or a cross member underneath the trailer. None of which have a working load limit, yet are perfectly legal and safe.

cke, Tug Toy and shawnhhllc Thank this.
  8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

They are not require, correct. But some manufacturers rate them. Some dont. So dont exceed them. Or take the sticker off.

I have seen a new east tagged "no side rail securement". Looked just like one with a 5,000 rating. Your guess is as good as mine.

Older trailers had no such rating. It was up to driver intelligence. Maybe that is why we live in this world.

9. Mavis Vivens

Mavis Vivens Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2020

SUICIDE COIL IS HERE.

6 4 2 1 3 5 7 8

Drivers side binders 1, 4, 5, 8 (with extension chain, see Western Express youtube video.)

Passenger side binders 2,3, 6, 7

HAVE 1,3,5,7,and 8 chains to keep coil from forward motion.

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  10. plug nickle

plug nickle Bobtail Member

May 8, 2021

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.