Steel Hauling pay for O/O

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RERM, Aug 15, 2014.

1. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl

What about insurance ? Tires ? Book keeping ? Federal Road Use tax ? Tolls ? telephone ? license tag ? You will not cover those items for 13 cpm.
    Running 125,000 miles a year does not mean you are paid for 125,000 miles. As I have been saying , there are always non-productive miles to buy fuel for, and that costs $$$$$$.

I think the biggest problem you hands that say you are hauling for a buck a mile is you are leased to some company. THEY are paying the trailer costs, insurance, etc. Somebody has to pay it.
    So, when those costs are added in, the cost to operate a truck is much higher.
    There is no way trucks can be operated ( TOTAL COSTS ) for a buck a mile. Just because you are letting someone else pay it, it still has to come from somewhere.

Besl_Burt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbatmick

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    How much dead-heading involved ? Is the 2.78 for hub miles, dispatched miles, book miles or what ?

4. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    He's recruiting for the company in his name.

Cluck Cluck Thanks this.
  5. jbatmick

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    That is what I was thinking.

6. Besl_Burt

Besl_Burt Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Not recruiting. Just throwing it out there. That's the average for dispatched miles, DH is usually less than 10%. Yes I do work at BESL in safety, Dad works here as an O/O.

7. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Is 2.78 + FSC the gross or driver pay? What is the average FSC? What percentage is paid to the contractor?

BAYOU Thanks this.
  8. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
  9. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    5mpg x $4/gal - of course prices fluctuate but that's just nice round number for an example. Better to overestimate.

65 cpm for driver, well I'm above an average driver and that was my competitive rate!

And RERM did ask about rates. Of course steel pays by the weight, usually 40K min. so you need to figure the miles and load heavier to get a better rate. He's driver paid by the mile so even a cheap rate looks good to him and gets the wheels in his brain turning.

And no it's not a mistake when the rate is on the BOL, that's just how some companies do their paperwork. It's usually the companies that have trucks knocking down the door to haul for them and the company has the luxury of setting the rates.

Besl_Burt Thanks this.
  10. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    Ya'll are haulin the wrong steel ! (-:

281ric Thanks this.
  11. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a company driver, I almost never see the rates, THAT'S WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD, to ask!!!....the comment about company always putting rates in BOL I BS....this was US Steel, I haul out of there weekly, as and have seen the rate twice.....as for my wheels spinning on $2.50, per mile....where did I say that?, ....good rate, bad rate...THAT'S WHAT I WAS ASKING......

As for hauling steel exclusively, I woul be open to hauling anything legal as Lon as it pays enough....and keeps me within 250 miles of Chicago.....I'm asking here before I take the plunge as an O/O because of the experienence of some of the posters.....right now it looks like I could buy a truck and run it for about $1.50 per mile (keeping Dh down to 10 % ).....so I'm trying to determine if it's a viable business model......

Thanks for the help everyone, please keep it coming!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.