Steep grade, I can't get my truck to go any faster than 50

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Lamb55, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

I agree! @Lamb55 what do you have to say?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Google Maps

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You aint doing half bad if a truck is giving you work, it will give you only so much upgrade. Then it's not going to go any faster. It's basic Newton Physics.

Now on the other side going down? Ha. anyone can climb a hill. It's the getting down that seperates men from boys. (And kills a few darwins along the way...)

In my concrete truck days Im less concerned for speed more about water in the tank and getting the work out of that engine when necessary. We have hills here that are just about vertical and will kill you by flopping that ready mix upside down and mashing you. Off road that is. I thought I was something off road before I came south, but the ol' boys here taught me quite a bit of more of what I needed to learn.

Highway grades on the interstate system generally 7% upgrade by design. 50 going up? That's great when you are loaded. You probably don't have the horses like the bigger OTR brethern does but that's ok, your drum is need of turning and so on, that takes horses from your engine. You are paid by hour so speed is not that important.

Ive had 80000 pound trucks on hands and knees maxed out at less than walking pace against 24% or so in the past. if anything failed in the engine or the drive train or similar you are fixing to say a prayer and take it into the ditch backwards before it takes off and runs you to your death killing anyone else below.

Heck Ive had 150000 pound trucks against old style short macks from the 60's on the interstate level ground the front end would go out at 31 and it will try to kill you. The best I could hope for was maybe 27 or so. That was a very bad day, Ive talked about that several times before in Virginia when I didnt know nothing.

It's a little unusual for people to complain about going up slow. 50 aint bad. Long ago on the 300 cummins big cam agianst a roadranger ten 18 or so at 80000 on a 5% townhill south of breezewood took alot of time. That's about a 4 mile pull. Once they gave me a new 350 mack I ran that same hill at about 46ish depending on temperature of the day since it was the beginnings of electronic controlled engines.

Ive said enough. Speed uphill, you will get what you will get once momentum wears off. And not any faster. It's Physics without the College Debt laden educating.

5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    @Lamb55 if you're loaded and going downhill, gravity should cause your truck to speed up.

If you're in 10th gear at 70MPH, how can you get down to 50MPH without having to downshift into 9th gear?

And please tell us what RPMs your engine is turning at both 70 and 50.

Lamb55 Thanks this.
  6. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

HES NOT ASKING ABOUT UP HILL!!!!!!!!!!!

Bean Jr. and Lamb55 Thank this.
  7. Lamb55

Lamb55 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Thank you! LOL. And I am also not driving a drum concrete truck either. I get paid by the load not hourly. Its not really a HUGE deal I was mainly just asking if I was doing something wrong, i.e. braking too hard accelerating too much I don't know I just can't figure out why going DOWNhill I go slower then when I am going UP the other side.

Also I apologize for the repeat posts I tried posting on my phone and I thought it didn't work so I posted again on my computer.

8. Lamb55

Lamb55 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2018
    I also do downshift to 9th gear. As far as RPMs I am not sure I will get check it out but I believe its running around 1,500-1,700 or so but I will check and make sure.

9. Lamb55

Lamb55 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2018
    I am pretty sure it's down hill I will see if I can find the exact spot on google maps. Like I said not really a huge deal, its mainly I am more concerned about going 20mph, or more, less then the speed limit and someone hitting me. I doubt that would happen because it pretty much wide open space with no turns or anything but you never know these days with all the texting and driving.

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The satellite is seeing you on a down hill and notifies the driver assistance module . That module is slowing you down to a speed the computer thinks is safe.....

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    When you get up to 50 and it won't go any faster just kick it in to neutral and let it roll. Bet it speeds up then.
    lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.